1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had to jumpstart??

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by skygazer242, Nov 19, 2008.

1. skygazer242

skygazer242 New Member

This morning we had to jumpstart our '05 Prius. Can't figure out any reason why, and this hasn't ever happened before. Anyone else??

2. firepa63

firepa63 Former Prius Owner

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like an interior light was on. Are you sure the doors were all closed tight?

If you still have the original 12v battery, it's time for a new one. It's about at its age limit.

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    To anyone needing to jumpstart Prius: Make absolutely sure that you have the battery polarity correct (pos to pos, etc.) before hooking up. Reverse polarity will cost you a lot of money. If these words don't make sense to you, don't be the one connecting clamps.

Sorry skygazer242, I add this to all the jumping threads.

4. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I just replaced the 12V in my '04. Given it arrived on the boat mid Sept 2004, it was probably one of the last '04s built. If you have an early '05, yep, could be time.

I had 2 'warnings' that were not specific. The first turns out to be a 'known' indicator of a weak 12V:
    You get a message: "Caution: The transmission lock mechanism is abnormal". WHY does this mean your 12V might be going south? I don't know. The message never stayed on so I ignored it. I always use the parking brake anyway.

It also started beeping at me when I got out after shutting down and opening the door. It was a fast, non stop beeping that shut off when I closed the door. I guess it 'thought' I still had the car on?? Sometimes, if I restarted it and shut down again, it didn't beep. Not so the few days before it rolled over and died.

If Toyota wanted to be nice, they could put a message on the screen saying "The 12V battery is weak, consider replacing it soon".

In any case, from what I have seen on PriusChat, 4 years is about the time they start to fail. Might depend on your climate, I've not done any research to see if those in cold winter areas fail earlier than those in warmer climates.