1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had to remover the headliner yesterday. Mouse :-/

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Care, Maintenance & Troubleshooting' started by Bigbirdk, Oct 29, 2023.

1. Bigbirdk

Bigbirdk Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    We removed the headliner yesterday. 2015 Gen 3.

A-Hole squatter mouse stockpiled birdseed in my Prius headliner this week. My car has been in the driveway a bit this summer while other cars occupied the garage and a mouse made his way in. He was not there long and I got a big clue driving to work when the birdseed was rolling back and forth above my head like BB’s. I dreaded pulling the headliner, but knew we needed to jump on this pretty fast. I read a bunch of threads, some with people saying you had to remove interior pieces down to the door sills to get the headliner out.
    Luckily, I found a great video of how to do it simply. This superstar is concise and accurate. GREAT video and a huge help!:

My wife and I tackled it together in a couple of hours. Butthead mouse was setting up camp in the insulation and in @ 2 days had stockpiled about a cup of birdseed up there that I buy for the freeloading birds!…don’t get me started. :-/
    Anyway, I hope the helps others who need to get into the headliner. It was straightforward to re install too.

Attached Files:

ASRDogman likes this.
  2. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Put some rodent mesh over the entries. Main one is cabin air intake; you need to remove wipers and cowl to access. More info in video #13 here. They could maybe also get in via the two cabin air exit vents, at rear corners of hatch area, below the floor.

3. bdc101

bdc101 Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Holy smokes, that's crazy! Could you hear him up there when you were in the car?

One time when I had my old S2000, I opened up the hood to blow the dust out of the air filter, and found the air filter box was full of dog food. Like, completely full of my own dog's food. I thought somebody was playing a super weird trick until I thought it through.

mikey_t likes this.
  4. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    The engine air intake snorkel is another good one to mesh. For that and aforementioned, 1/4” galvanized steel anti-rodent mesh is good, available at any hardware store.

5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Relatively easy to photograph.

Attached Files:

6. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Damn I've been lucky I guess I live in the woods in Central North Carolina nothing I don't know five running cars parked here they usually move every day We have had not even bugs seriously it's funny I read about this all the time I go to people's houses and do work at their houses and they tell me oh yeah I got an old truck out here with squirrels living in it and all kinds of stuff and I wasn't telling people man I got cars sitting out in the woods at my house and nothing help my daughter even leaves food in her car sometimes by mistake nothing no bugs no rodents. The rodents we do have here are fed very well raccoon squirrels snakes etc they eat good so maybe they don't need any place to hoard food and hang out there's root cellars and places for them to be in look after things if they need to.