1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Had to stop mid headlight replacement— can I turn car on? Help me avoid electrocution

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by purgatorrie, Jan 28, 2019.

1. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi there friends,
    I am very stupid and purchased a halogen bulb as opposed to HID xenon on my 2008. I discovered this once I took the dead bulb out. Now I’ve realized I have to order a new bulb online as autozone only seems to have halogens.
    I’m (perhaps naively) afraid of electrocution. I’m having trouble putting it back together in the first place. Can I leave the bulb cover off, replace the fuse box cover, close the hood and just drive it?
    My fear of electrocution probably has to do with being a grown adult who does not fully understand electricity... please lord help save me from my own stupidity. My car is currently sticking halfway out of my garage so I could get closer to a light source to see and I have visions of something going terribly wrong if I so much as pull it back into the garage.

2. purgatorrie

purgatorrie New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I’m not sure how to edit a post but I did turn on my car and pull it back into the garage, only to realize I must have disconnected something else or done something wrong as my display screen was off (like where the odometer, etc is) when I started the car.
    Could this just be due to leaving the bulb cover off or have I messed something else up?

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    removing a bulb, holder or cover will not affect your cars operation.

;check your 12v health, if it is good, you may need a new combo meter by coincidence

SFO likes this.