1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hail Cover

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by ilusnforc, Oct 2, 2008.

1. ilusnforc

ilusnforc Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    We occasionally get some bad hail here in central Texas, and my current job means my car sits outside completely exposed for approximately 12 hours a day, although it is garaged at home. This leaves it very vulnerable to hail damage, so I did some searching around to see if anyone had any good ideas for a "hail kit" like some foam padding and a tarp that can be easily stored and able to put it on the car securely in rain and wind to protect it. Didn't really find anything practical, however I did find this website before they even had a product to sell. It was more like an idea and they were just getting the materials together and firing blocks of ice at it in product develpment testing.

www.covexcovers.com

Well, I joined their mailing list to be notified when their product was available and I got an email a few months ago saying they are now shipping their products. I eagerly checked the site under make/model and there was nothing for the Prius, but I was sure to check back in the weeks to follow and they now have a cover available for the Prius in 3 different models (amount of hail impact that can be absorbed or deflected) ranging from $319.99 to $519.39 (as of 10/02/2008). Here is a complete lineup and details:

HG-FS1-s2 - Protection from Golf ball size hail - $319.99
    HG-FS2-s2 - Protection from Tennis ball size hail - $429.33
    HG-FS3-s3 - Protection from Baseball size hail - $519.39

For signing up on their mailing list to be notified when their products would be available, I was given a promotional discount code (with no expiration) that may or may not still work. If you message me I would be glad to share the code, I'm sure they wouldn't mind a little support from the Prius forums. They have some photos of the install process which looks as easy and putting on a regular car cover, one long protective part that you unroll over the top surface of the car and side flaps to protect the windows and doors unfold from the main part after unrolling then it appears to secure at the bottom of the car. It looks like it folds then rolls up for storage and is a bit larger than a golf club bag. It looks big, might have to fold down one of the rear seats to get it in the hatch.

I dont have the money to spend on one now, but it's certainly on the wish list. I'd like to hear more if anyone actually gets one. Looks to be a great product.

2. SVPriusFan

SVPriusFan Hymotioned and loving it...

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Hi ilusnforc,

This is something that's been on my mind since I moved out to Denver 5 months ago. From what I understand, hail happens every once in a while here, but if you get caught in it the damage can be very great. And since I've just put another 10K into my Prius, it would be nice to have the peace of mind of having a cover that would protect against this kind of damage.

I'm sending you an IM for the code - thanks!:D