1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hail Mary: How to Tell If Hybrid Battery Really Dead?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by golfpass, Apr 11, 2016.

1. golfpass

golfpass New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have a 2005 Prius with 160K miles on it. A few days ago, I starting having difficulty, almost sluggish acceleration as if the car couldn't get into first car and only would drive naturally after slowly gaining enough speed to get into 2nd gear. Strange. Of course, the "Warning Exclamation" light went on a few hours later.

I immediately went to my repair guy to find out the diagnostic error codes. There were several, most notably, UO293 -- a communication error between the engine and HV battery, I'm told. Anyway, my repair guy was quick to say the hybrid battery is failing and to replace it. The Toyota dealer wanted $125 to do the same diagnostic but was also quick to say that it was probably the battery due to the mileage on the car.

The car is only worth $4,000-$4,500 with the hybrid battery working. And with new hybrid batteries running around $3K after installation, the Toyota dealer only offered $1,000 because he can't sell it (due to mileage) and would simply take it to auction. Basically, the car is not worth much if the hybrid battery is indeed dead.

Drove it several times today (even with warning light on) and eventually the battery meter went down to one bar and the car was basically revving with no power. 0-30 in about 20 seconds and then the engine could effectively move the car at near normal speeds. Ugly, sad.

Hail Mary Question: Does this sound like the hybrid battery is indeed dead or am I being misled by repair guys and the dealership?

Thanks for your help!

2. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    How old is your 12V?

You can do the discharge test in my sig if your outside temps are above 70°F

3. golfpass

golfpass New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Appreciate the answer. 12V battery must be at least 5 years old, not certain. I'll read up on your links and give it a try. It could be the 12V?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    It sounds like your hybrid battery failed, you can try and get some assistance from Toyota hq, asking them for a goodwill warranty.

I would pay you more than $1000 for the unuseable car.

SM-N900P ?

5. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    "multiple codes" and the communication error point me at the 12V first. That's not to say your traction battery hasn't taken a crap.

What were the other codes?

Pop your hood before bed tonight. Check your 12V at the jump points under the hood first thing in the morning after sitting overnight. Do not power up the car. 12.6V or so is fully charged. Anything less is suspect.

Steve