1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

"half start" problem on 2004 Prius ~ unique?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by priusjulie2004, Dec 22, 2008.

1. priusjulie2004

priusjulie2004 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    HELP! I have an intermittent problem in STARTING my 2004 Prius. I have called four hybrid mechanics, none of whom has heard of it.

I push the Power button as usual. The dashboard lights up... BUT the "READY" light does not come on. And...

• I can not go into ANY gear
    • I can not turn the car off
    • I can not remove the key
    A message comes onto my screen and reads something like this:

"Problem with the PARKING BRAKE LOCK mechanism. Put your car on flat ground and depress the parking brake ALL the way."

I do this -- but it does not help. NOTHING helps... Except TIME.

In TIME -- from 5 minutes to 25 minutes (!) -- the car turns off all on its own. All lights go out. Car is now OFF.

THEN, and only THEN, I can start the car immediately without any problem.

Anyone know what is going on?

Thanks, Julie

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting...esp. the message you're seeing. I've never heard of that before.

There USED to be a problem with the early '04s that would hang up on start-up if you accidently hit the Power button twice in a row very quickly. This has, as far as I know, been fixed via some of the SSCs that have been performed on the '04s. I haven't heard a report for 3 or 4 years at least.

We can also see IG-ON mode if there's a problem with the brake switch (my main suspicion for you)...but I don't think we see the message on the MFD with the brake switch problem--that's really unique.

Next time it happens try just pressing and holding the Power button for about 10 seconds...that should shut you down. Be sure you're firmly depressing the brake pedal when you power up.

I'm interested to see what Galaxee and Patrick Wong have to say on this.

3. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    that could be a 12v battery issue, as completely unexciting as that sounds. absent any diagnostic codes from the dealer to rule out the actual park lock mechanism, that's what DH would consider.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Julie,

I agree that the 12V auxiliary battery is the most likely suspect here.

5. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I had this same message appear several times on my 2004 until I replaced the 12 volt battery. It has not returned since then.

6. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
  7. jelloslug

jelloslug It buffed right out!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    My salvage '08 would do this when the 12V battery was very weak. My vote is for the 12V battery also.

8. pamprius04

pamprius04 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Julie:

My 2004 is doing the same thing and it is driving me nuts. Only my restart time is getting longer....used to be 10 to 15 minutes and now is usually overnight. I asked Toyota about it and they gave me a look "just like a woman". Have you solved the problem?

Pam

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    wow, have no experience with this, but sounds like several here have.... once again, PC comes through!!... get a new battery

10. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Confirm with a voltmeter, or with the selftest procedure given here by jdenenberg (no tools required):
    http://www.priusonline.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=12291&p=105767&hilit=battery+self+test#p105767

But yeah, given the age and symptom this sure smells like a 12V battery near death.

If it needs a jump *don't* do it unless you are certain of the procedure, and don't let anyone else do it unless they are legally obligated to repair any damage caused by mistakes they might make. If in doubt have a Toyota dealer send a truck. Doing it wrong can cause thousands of dollars of damage to the inverter or wiring harnesses.

11. bac

bac Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I'm not buying these "2-post" members for a minute. :rolleyes:

... Brad

12. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so.. get a new battery...

and people.. please stop being all scared about jumping your car.. it's a lot harder to blow anything that anyone on here is willing to test.. except me.

i've been jumped.. jumped people... run 10amp products on my inverter.. etc.. the only thing that blows any fuses would be shorting something on accident ( like every car)