1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen Headlight adjustment

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by bogeybob513, Mar 2, 2009.

1. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have been getting signals that my low and high beams are set too high. I have a manual that shows where the adjustment wheel is but it does not indicate which way to rotate the wheel (from the front of the car) to raise or lower the beam. It is a difficult area to access and I would appreciate any knowledge anyone has regarding this problem.

2. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    You have package #6 with halogen headlights? How did that happen?

Tom

3. tochatihu

tochatihu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    If you realize where the adjusting device is and how to turn it that's more than half the battle. I can't remember whether CW or CCW lowers them but it's very easy to find that out. Show the headlights on a wall and mark the top (or apparent center) with tape. Then turn in one direction and count the turns you make. Rfeer to tape on wall - did the light move up or down? It is more difficult to know how much effect an adjustment has on lighting the roadway, and uncoming drivers' eyes. You may have to try a few times to get the correct setting.

4. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Yes, please tell us. I think you have the HID lights. Clockwise to lower, counter clockwise to raise. 8 mm wrench.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    There's a part that looks like an upside-down bottle cap (those metal ones). That's the headlight adjuster. I believe CW is down and CCW is up.

If you're not sure, I'd park a good distance away from a wall or garage door. Ensure that the vehicle is level (or as close to that as possible), mark the headlight on the wall or door with masking tape and adjust as necessary. You'll quickly find out which is up and which is down :)

6. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    SWon of a gun! I re-checked and found that I have a package 4! Will change my profile.

7. bogeybob513

bogeybob513 rtc513

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Turns out I have a package 4. What is clockwise and what is counter clockwise? Looking from the front or from the rear?

8. lenjack

lenjack Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Think of it as tightening or loosening a screw. Tightening = clockwise, loosening = ccw. Tighten down, loosen up. From looking at the adjuster as if you were sitting on the engine facing front.