1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Halogen headlight going out while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by RamageJ, Dec 15, 2018.

1. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    According to the Toyota vehicle specs for 05 Prius my car has the halogen bulbs (checked my VIN on the Toyota owner's website and toyodiy). However, the passenger side bulb is behaving the way people describe the HIDs when they start to fail. Both lights initially turn on, but the passenger side light keeps turning off after driving for a few minutes.

Would this indicate the need to replace the halogen bulbs? Or is something else probably the issue?

There's no moisture inside the headlight assembly. A few months ago, the red triangle was coming on due to the headlight level sensor. I honestly never got under the car to see what the sensor looked like, and the red triangle has not come on in a while. But maybe that's a related issue?

Thanks!

2. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I ended up finding the original purchase record tucked inside a sleeve of the zippered owner's manual binder. I'd never seen this before, and it says I do have the HID headlights. Interesting that vehicle specs from Toyota for my VIN says they're halogen lights even though the Toyota dealer's purchase order says they were shipped with HID.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    that is odd. i wonder if there is a visual way to differentiate.

4. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    IF a headlight level sensor exists, then the car has HID headlights.

5. RamageJ

RamageJ Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It’s been a year, but they were definitely HID as they do have level sensor and the color tone changes in the first couple seconds when turned on.

This was not a DIY job for me at all. Nearly sliced my thumb open trying to get into the encasement (another sign you have HID is they’re sealed up like Fort Knox), so gladly paid my mechanic who did the job far more efficiently.