1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hal's Here: Glitch means drivers can't change radio from NPR

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by Stevewoods, Feb 9, 2022.

1. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Mendel Leisk likes this.
  2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    funny story, but kind of scary at the same time. who knew radio waves could fry a computer?

lucky it's just the infotainment system...

3. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    RIGHT NOW it is just the info center.....

And, what about devious intent..... all sorts of issues that could arise.

Anyone remember the old days when you drove past construction sites and they had the big signs saying not to use two-way radios because of the danger of setting off an explosion?

Are mission critical computers hardened against such things -- I don't know what I am talking about, really, but what if via radio waves bad code was sent to all cars in a region -- you don't have to deliberately tune in a station.....I use the scan and search function on the radio all the time -- especially when I am traveling out of my home area.

Brakes, firing orders, all sorts of things could be affected with all sorts of consequences -- maybe -- again, I am lucky to be able to sign on a computer, let alone knowing anything about how they really work.

4. Trollbait

Trollbait It's a D&D thing

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It appears the radio station sent out a file without an extension, so it wasn't identified as what type of file it was. The radio computer in the car shouldn't have opened it. Since it is only Mazdas of a certain age that got hit, all the other cars tuning in that station properly handled the unknown file, and avoided getting fried.

Unlike the computer handling the radio, navigation, and rest of the infotainment system, the computer running the engine, brakes, etc. isn't wireless. Accessing its software requires a physical connection to the computer. Smart keys and over the air updates could be a point of entry, but have security protocols in place. They don't pick up and run any file streaming in the ether, just like your smart phone doesn't play random radio stations and linked files.

Stevewoods and jerrymildred like this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    By the same token, without the counterexample, we'd probably have assumed Mazda's infotainment software wouldn't have bricked itself on a file without .jpg either.

Closed-source software always benefits from our willingness to assume stuff was reasonably put together when we're not allowed to look.

Stevewoods likes this.
  6. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    "... they had tuned into KUOW, 94.9 on the FM dial, the NPR station."

"The NPR station"?
    Erik should catch some flak from KNKX (formerly KPLU) listeners, the other major popular local NPR station, at FM 88.5.

It wasn't fried by radio waves. It was bricked by bad infotainment system software, not doing sufficient error checking. So it may also be susceptible to executing data as code, making it vulnerable to malware.

Radio waves can directly fry the electronics, but that most commonly involves lightening or nuclear weapons:
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electromagnetic_pulse

That would typically have much lower quality control than the vehicle's essential controls.

Stevewoods and jerrymildred like this.
  7. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ANYONE who has ever worked on a USN base when somebody forgot to put danger-tags on Aegis gear before mooring the ship inport.... :ROFLMAO:

I remember those signs....

"mission critical" hardware is hardened against electromagnetics both for gamma-boosted weapons (EMP) and Tempest - keeping people from hoovering up data FROM your electronics.
    Sadly.....this type of hardening is expensive our "military industrial complex" cuts corners when and where they can.

Infotainment screens getting bricked accidently, or purposefully is perhaps an automotive lesson about eggs and baskets..... ;)

Stevewoods likes this.
  8. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Not directly related, but the consequences are somewhat similar. Honda in their wisdom, made it so that every time voltage is interrupted to the radio, to get it working again (after voltage is restored), you need to enter a code. As an anti-theft measure.

Lose that code; you're pretty much screwed. Well, in the States you can go to a website, enter your VIN, maybe some other info, and they'll provide you with the code. In Canada, you're screwed, period.

If you do recover the code, you're inclined to chisel it on the face plate of the radio...

Not sure if they're still doing this. Probably...

Stevewoods and bisco like this.
  9. mikefocke

mikefocke Prius v Three 2012, Avalon 2011

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited

Becker, installed in '90 and '00 Posches, had the same security code feature. Since, after changing the battery, you needed the code, every smart mechanic wrote the code down on a sticker that was under the frunk lid (frunk=front trunk) under which the battery was accessed. Not that the radios were any great value, but of course Porsche charged as if they were.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  10. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    It's kinda hard these days to grep anything useful about the old nimrod, conelrod (a mile under colorado ) systems. it's still possible to find some stuff on Norad though. The newer systems are still kinda hush hush so not much there either, unless you already know where to look.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when i was selling my dil's mothers civic last year, i noticed that the radio wouldn't work and asked for a code to be entered. i had always wondered about that. now i know, thanks!
    any reason you have heard for doing this?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    As he said, it is an anti-theft measure. Do you remember back when nice car audio systems were hot theft items? This was a way to render stolen systems valueless.

Stevewoods, Mendel Leisk and bisco like this.
  13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i missed that, thanks!

14. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Hey, I missed it too, was gonna explain (again)... :unsure:

Stevewoods likes this.
  15. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    So, are sound system thieves passe?

Is everyone a "cat" burglar now?

In high school there was a group of guys that made a lot of money stealing stereos (late 1970's).

I, of course at age 16 was clean-cut and law-abiding. Well, except for beer drinking and "improper relationships with teen girls." Oh, and there was that long hair....

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i remember hair...

Stevewoods likes this.
  17. ETC(SS)

ETC(SS) The OTHER One Percenter.....

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm old enough to remember when those types of relationships were NOT 'improper'.... ;)

Stevewoods likes this.
  18. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I even have a few left.

Actually, I still have all of them. Most just slid downhill to new locations, by gravity.

bisco likes this.
  19. vvillovv

vvillovv Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    hair today - gone tomorrow in the 80's we saw mullets - half long - half short. One kid in Jr High shaved half his head and mustache on a bet. I know a mustache in early teens, ?? call me jealous at age 13.

bisco likes this.
  20. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Now they leave the radio and take the catalytic converter.

Bob Wilson

ETC(SS), bisco, fuzzy1 and 1 other person like this.