1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hamas vs. Fatah

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by dbermanmd, Jun 13, 2007.

1. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Who do you guys root for?

Seriously, the potential for disaster here is enormous with Iran/Syria backing Hamas. If this spreads to the West Bank - look out. Looks like a major conflict is brewing here.

Also, if Hamas wins, the true wants and wishes of the Palestinian peoples are obviously not a two state solution.

My answer to above question - both of them.

2. daronspicher

daronspicher Active Member

Can we supply small arms to whichever side seems to be losing at the time, then when the tide turns, supply the other side and keep going until there is only one guy left?

3. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 13 2007, 10:08 AM) [snapback]460805[/snapback]</div>
    Brilliant!

I would favor large weapons too :D

Q? What do you do with the lone survivor?

4. daronspicher

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 13 2007, 09:09 AM) [snapback]460807[/snapback]</div>
    Make him president of the place, put him in the 'headquarters' building, surround it Arafat style and keep sending in a pizza through the hole in the door.

5. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 13 2007, 10:15 AM) [snapback]460810[/snapback]</div>
    Brilliant!

6. fshagan

fshagan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    They must be mad because we're in Iraq. If we pull out, they will stop fighting, give each other a hug, and live forever in peace.

7. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(fshagan @ Jun 14 2007, 02:12 AM) [snapback]461421[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. We pull our of Iraq and Afghanistan and remove all our forces from Saudia Arabia, Qatar - they and all the world will love us again.

8. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    ha! for once I agree with your right-wingers :)

I can't really take a side in this conflict. Both sides are fundamentally corrupt and do not serve it's people well. They are also out of options with the embargo from the rest of the world putting any hope for economical growth in the area to a halt. This civil war cannot be said to be a surprising outcome for this problem.

I feel for the civilians and wonder what will come out of all this... Maybe sometimes things have to get worse before they can get better.... but it's not clear that anything good will come out of this.

9. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(SomervillePrius @ Jun 14 2007, 10:30 AM) [snapback]461508[/snapback]</div>
    Let me predict....

Hamas wins and gains control of the Gaza Strip - hence making a two state solution IMPOSSIBLE. This internecine conflict will spread to the West Bank because of Syrian and Iranian influence and backing of Hamas. They have a DIRECT interest in this happening. Iran will use this influence to cause another conflict with Israel - this time a THREE FRONT conflict using Lebanon (iran and syria back Hezbollah), Gaza and the West Bank as launch points. They need to do this asap to divert attention away from their ongoing nuclear program - currently adding about 300 nuclear centrifuges per week and advancing at a more rapid clip towards getting the bomb than most people think.

Hamas will win this conflict without doubt - the Palestinian people who VOTED for Hamas will be dragged into a HUGE conflict with Israel who after the last conflict with Hezbollah needs to not only re-establish their military deterent and take advantage of a willingness of the worlds parties to destroy iranian backed terror groups (the last conflict Israel received the green light from egypt, jordan and saudia arabia to "go for it", but olmert did not - and is paying the price currently and is on his way out).

After this hopefully all out war - we will see a better chance to return to normal

10. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Interesting analysis. And yes, this is the scenario, that all the peace accords have tried to avoid.

11. daronspicher

And when Isreal has to fight that battle, I say take off the gloves, wipe the slate and keep the spoils. State it up front right now so that the world has the correct expectations for when it starts.

If Iran fires a single shot during this thing, I'd suggest Isreal knocks them back to 1851... or maybe just 100 years..

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daronspicher @ Jun 14 2007, 10:52 AM) [snapback]461524[/snapback]</div>
    There is little doubt in my mind that Iran will stay way away from Israel if/when this conflict starts. They do NOT want to give Israel any just cause to open a can of whip a** on them. That being said it is my hope that Israel stands up like they did to saddam in 1981 by destroying his nuclear reactor against the iranians.

And I agree, Israel should not call off the dogs of war until they have totally destroyed the enemies potential of waging war for a century or more. I would agree with knocking them back a hundred years or so, except for that outside of some military capabilities - they are still back in the 8th or 9th century AD

13. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm under no delusions that this will go well. No matter what things will likely end very badly. While Israel might be able to bomb Iran back several hundred years and eliminate that threat, it'll do nothing to reduce/eliminate the very threat our country lives under...terrorism. Which will no doubt escalate in the near future.

the Middle East is getting uglier by the minute.

14. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 10:56 AM) [snapback]461530[/snapback]</div>
    I have to respectfully disagree. This whole thing is about Iran. We have Iranian supported Hezbollah to Israel's north, Iranian supported Hamastan (formerly known as Gaza) to its south, and Iranian supported Syria to its NE.

The Iranian noose is tightening around Israel, something that Israel will not tolerate for long. If there is an escalation, you can be sure Iran will be involved. Iran will lob missiles at Israel, from Hezbollah's Iranian stockpiles, and fromIran itself. Expect Israel to attack Iran and destroy as much of it's nuclear facilities as possible. The US may jump in and help with that attack. Muslims all hate us anyway, and we have some scores to settle with Iran over our GI's being killed by Iranian IED's.

Harry

15. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    This is an interesting debate.

Harry, I agree that Iran will be dragged into (if/when it expands) but I think they will force Israel to act as the aggressor for PR reasons. I don't think they will launch missiles from Iran until Israel acts. That said I think they will quickly get involved.

16. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Earthling @ Jun 14 2007, 11:25 AM) [snapback]461560[/snapback]</div>
    Agree - we need iran out of this equation - they are the central hub of the majority of todays terror - their time has come.

17. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Jun 14 2007, 10:31 AM) [snapback]461569[/snapback]</div>
    From the man who makes Bush look like a Foreign policy genious....one track mind.

18. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]461573[/snapback]</div>
    what are you - an 8 track - do you understand this comment? tell me, did you take nasty pills today or are you always this miserable and you just mask it at times? what brought this all about - you used to respect people - you used to treat people properly? i guess you make your own rules here... very liberal of you -

19. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ Jun 14 2007, 11:35 AM) [snapback]461573[/snapback]</div>
    I have a solution for you - from my one track mind - mind you :D

Call in your hero - Jimmy Carter - he is a Hamas supporter/anti-Semite (the last part of that was beyond my control because of my connections with the State of Israel - the Middle East's only true democracy - a democracy a number of people here with multiple tracked minds see no desire or need to support above the OBVIOUS terror based countries surrounding it)

20. SomervillePrius

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    now, now dbermanmd,

I think his comment was in jest; and quite often your posts are quite provocative and directed as well. With the posts you make here I think you will have to have a little thicker skin then that.

Don't take me wrong, many things you post are interesting, they are just very direct(ed) at times.