1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hand Car Washes

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Marvinh, Nov 8, 2007.

1. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Today, I found a car wash that pulls the car along on the conveyor system, BUT it had guys in wet weather gear (white suits and hoods) rather than mechanized brushes washing the car in the 'tunnel'! Has anyone found this type of car wash in your area? They are called 'Hand Car Washes'. Seems like a good method to having the Prius washed. Different from the laser washes that have the wash appartus circle the car. I haven't found a laser car wash in my area (Long Island NY).

I was a little concerned, like a lot us, that the guy would understand how to place the car in neutral, but he was OK.

Can you tell this was my first time bringing my Prii to a car wash? :rolleyes:

Marvin

2. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 8 2007, 06:48 PM) [snapback]537025[/snapback]</div>
    They just built a new one in the Phoenix area. I started bringing all my vehicles to them. Up until I found them I just paid extra at the car wash to have the guy hand wash them. I really don't like the brush or high pressure for that matter car washes.

Mike

3. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi Marvin,

Where was this hand wash car wash (street & town)?

How much did they charge you?

Any discounts for evenings or off-peak hours?

4. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Boo @ Nov 8 2007, 10:10 PM) [snapback]537063[/snapback]</div>

Tom - its at the corner of Jericho Tpke and Commack Rd. in Commack, LI. I think they are becoming more popular as well. - Marvin

5. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 8 2007, 11:35 PM) [snapback]537097[/snapback]</div>
    Thanks. I'll check it out for a winter wash (the rest of the year I use my own hands).

6. uclabruins

uclabruins Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Marvin, did you have to post twice about the hand car wash?

7. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 8 2007, 05:48 PM) [snapback]537025[/snapback]</div>
    I would be much less worried about the guys finding neutral than I would be that they would not take as much care as I do not to scratch my car.

Absolutely guaranteed they don't. <_<

I will continue to do my own car washing.
    Three years later, still no scratches or swirl marks. ;)

8. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(uclabruins @ Nov 9 2007, 01:02 AM) [snapback]537134[/snapback]</div>
    Sorry. That was an error. And I couldn't find any way to delete the duplicate post. Does anybody know? Is there a way to delete a duplicate post? :unsure:

Thanks - Marvin

9. mingoglia

mingoglia Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 9 2007, 01:50 AM) [snapback]537161[/snapback]</div>
    I had my Prius washed for the first time a couple of days ago at the hand wash place (as I said). Anyway, I had the keyfob in my pocket when I pulled up. It went through the had car wash. At the other end the guy was in there fumbling around and I kinda laughed thinking he didn't know how to start the car. I saw him hitting the power button but figured he didn't have his foot on the brake. Then I realized that he was fumbling because I had the key fob and he was looking for the key as the car wasn't starting. :blink: Whoops. B)

10. Marvinh

Marvinh Marvin

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Sufferin' Prius Envy @ Nov 9 2007, 03:50 AM) [snapback]537161[/snapback]</div>

I'm surpised you are concerned about the brushes in an automated car wash scratching the car? Have you heard about that happening?

Marvin

11. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 9 2007, 10:50 AM) [snapback]537227[/snapback]</div>
    Man dont worry about the Dbl post the mods will omit them if they see it, or ask one of them to omit it.. (Some people would rather point out a dbl posting or spelling error, than have something construtive to add to the thread :rolleyes: ) They just dont have anything to better occupy their time... ;) Theres a name for them but we cant say it here for fear of suspention... <_< :rolleyes:

O/T; Ive never heard of a carwash like that I used to take the prius & now the camry to a local soft touch mechanical car wash it costs $12 for everything and its near Heathrow so all the richy riches go there and the scenery is VERY nice..... ;) B)

I recently went to another carwash and the guy locked the ladies keys in the car/SUV so at the end of the wash they could not get the car out..... :lol: the place was shut down for a 1/2 hour.. It was too funny the lady was really P/O'd she came up to me and started to rant and rave about the mishap. I told her stuff happens, and then proceded to laugh in her face I told her she was acting like a child and should be treaed as such.. the was palace paid for the locksmith and comped her wash.... :mellow:

12. SW03ES

SW03ES Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 9 2007, 11:38 AM) [snapback]537272[/snapback]</div>
    These things will destroy your car.

As a matter of fact I would prefer a machine carwash to one of those hand wash places. Usually its not really the machine that does the damage as long as you have the car sprayed down first, its the drying done at the end with all the crappy dirty towels.

My advice? Find a good automatic wash vs the hand car wash tunnel or even better have a detailer wash it for you. They'll come to your house and it costs less than you'd think.

13. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marvinh @ Nov 9 2007, 08:38 AM) [snapback]537272[/snapback]</div>
    YES! And seen it too.

Next time you see a car with swirl marks and scratches, often you will see the marks cover a vast area and are very symmetrical - only the large brushes of an automated car wash can produce results with that degree of precision. <_<