1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Handling, how is it?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by dlai, Mar 6, 2005.

1. dlai

dlai New Member

Hi Folks. First post here. I'm thinking of getting a new Prius but have a question about how the Prius handles. I've owned several BMW's, Audi's, etc, and am used to the handling those cars offer. Can someone tell me how the Prius handles on twisty mountain roads when driving in an aggressive manner? How is the roadholding, understeering, oversteering, etc? How planted does the car feel? I often drive twisty mountains roads on the weekends and this handling question is important to me.

Many thanks ahead of time for your input.

2. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've driven a good number of twisty mountain roads, and while I tend to be pretty cautious on them (when I was a little kid, the whole family went off the edge and ended up rolling 2000 feet down, though miraculously only cut and bruised), I find the Prius handles very well. I never find myself wishing for more performance, I guess I should say. I can certainly keep up the people in BMWs and such who like to move quickly along the mountain if I need. :mrgreen:

3. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    CAUTION:

The Prius meditation chamber just might cure your aggressive driving tendencies.
    Many on PriusChat have reported a strange phenomenon of experiencing a feeling of relaxation and serenity while driving a Prius . . . and a certain amount of all-knowing smugness.

4. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The Prius is a remarkably fuel efficient commuter car and family car, period. It's competent in normal driving.

If you want BMW or Audi "handling" then you had better stick with BMW or Audi.

BTW what do you mean by "aggressive?" IOW at the speed limit? Or with tires squealing and the wheels 2 cm from the edge of the canyon? Just curious.

5. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The suspension is fairly competent but again, coming from a BMW you might want to do a test drive first as Jayman said, it depends what you mean by aggressive

6. jchu

jchu New Member

Another thing, No steering dead zone takes some getting used to.

7. dlai

dlai New Member

I live in a mountain town called La Honda. Every morning, rain or shine, I have to drive on 15 miles of twisting, uphill and downhill, curvy roads, often times with off camber curves. I know the road like the back of my hand, and have found that cars that float, understeer severely, and otherwise don't "stick", are difficult to drive in these conditions. Agressive in my style of driving is not tire screaming, but smooth but fast driving, rarely above the speed limit on curves. We're going for smoothness here. I'm concerned about the suspension not being firm enough in the Prius, that it might feel like it's floating, and that the size of the tires might be a concern. By the way, I'm not looking for BMW handling nor do I expect it from a Prius. I'm certainly not dumb enough to ever believe that. Plus, I never said that in my initial post. I said I was used to the handling of BMWs and Audis. There's no reason I should "stick" to a BMW or Audi based on my question, Jayman. I am looking for a commuter car....

All of the above said, I work in San Francisco, and sometimes have to commute to Marin County, so my round trip commute on a given day can range from two hours on the freeway in my car to over four hours. That is driving my interest in the Prius since the majority of my driving is freeway driving with a mixture of city driving once I reach my destination. I used to own a Toyota Corolla which did ok with this commute until I hit a deer late one night driving home on said mountain road, about a mile from my house. Perhaps a more fair question would be how the Prius handles as compared to a Corolla or Civic. Yes, a test drive would be in order, but I doubt a dealer would let me test drive a Prius anywhere near where I live. There's really nothing up there but my wife and I, and a bunch of wild animals here and there. My nearest neighbor is 5 miles away.

Thanks again for any thoughts on the matter. There is a dealer about an hour away who has a few Prius in stock, so I'm ready to move, but thought I'd post my handling question here first.

8. kidtwist

kidtwist New Member

You may want to check Hertz or Avis or someplace like that to see if they'll have a Prius they'll rent you. There are a few around at such places. Then you can do all the test driving you want.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Hey Dlai,
    In November I camped at San Mateo County Memorial Park. Got there via 280, 84, and Pescadero Road. Fun drive. The car did fine. Even with camping gear in the back.

For that road at night and in fog/rain, I would seriously consider one of the models (#4 AM or #6 BC) with VSC and HID. The VSC just may save you from going over the side on a slick rainy evening when you swerve just in time to miss your next suicidal deer because you had enough lead time due to the superior HID lights. I saw critter eyes like never before.

Ooh, and it had no problem going over Russian Hill on Jones with three adults and luggage for two on the way to SFO. (Not that I care to do that one again!)

10. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Last weekend I did the Highway 9 run from Santa Cruz to 85. If you will remember, the speed limit on this 2-lane road is in the 35mph range - with good reason. My husband and a backseat driver (these were two different people this time) were quite impressed with the easy way the car dealt with the twists and turns. I had complained about having to pick them up after their 24-mile hike to Waddell Beach and a drive back to their car near Skyline. My husband said, "I thought you didn't like driving hwy 9." I said, "I don't like to drive it but if I'm going to, I might as well have fun." Course, a little traveling music helps.

Actually, I can be a bit timid on moutain roads but I didn't feel the need after I realized that the Prius could handle it just fine!

11. Robert Taylor

Robert Taylor New Member

What is a steering dead zone?

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmm in that case, it should be fine. Some people have complained about the tyres, some found it just dandy. I mean you could always upgrade the tyres and/or wheels if need be. The suspension is stiff enough since the Prius is front heavy (even the front tyres are required to be 2PSI above the rear). The electric-assisted steering might take some getting used to. Don't worry about the engine noise at high revs (it's redlines at 5000rpm) since it doesn't shift, it'll run at the engine's optimal speed given your input on the accelerator.

13. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Well, you did mention BMW and Audi.

The Prius should compare well to a Corolla, a Civic, or something like a Ford Taurus. I've driven recent-model Corolla's and Civic's (Too small for me) and to me they appeared to ride and handle in similar fashion.

I also test-drove a 2004 Toyota Echo Hatchback, a model not available in the U.S. The Echo Hatchback is very satisfying to drive and has very good fuel economy too. No side airbags, no stability control, no traction control, but all models have ABS. I almost purchased one but it really was too small for my tastes.

Compared to my parents 2003 Buick LeSabre, the Prius initially turns quicker, but the Buick tracks better on grooved or rutted roads. I can't explain that, the Buick has what you would describe as a *very* "soft and floaty" suspension. Which makes it a pleasure to drive on our badly maintained, potholed and frost-heaved roads here.

Compared to a VW Golf or Jetta, the Prius does not handle anywhere near as good. The only way you will get close to the same fuel economy is to opt for a TDI model, and I'm not sure if you can buy them in CA.

14. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

It handles "competently and predictably." It won't qualify as "exciting." My biggest complaint is that when I drive canyon roads at brisk speeds, my line of sight to my intended track in the corner through the apex is blocked by that huge A-pillar. It makes cornering fast a neck-jerking proposition just to see that there isn't anything in the road ahead of my car. It's disappointing.

15. LeVautRien

LeVautRien Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Robert Taylor\";p=\"70070)</div>
    The steering dead zone is that little bit of give the steering wheel has before the wheels actually turn. Since the Prius's wheels turn with the slightest twitch of the wheel, it has no dead zone.

16. mikepaul

mikepaul Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'd worry more about accident-avoidance maneuvers in the rain going badly due to the crappy OEM tires than due to general car handling stuff. WAY too many times I've spun the tires, or felt them slide on a wet road during a turn.

While I'm not happy that I see a need arising to replace them, I'm hoping for better out of a set of Michelin Hydroedge tires. I sure hope they don't prove it was me all along...

17. justwatchme

justwatchme New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(KTPhil\";p=\"70246)</div>
    ya that pillar is REALLY annoying when taking any sort of turn especially left turns. The wheels you get at the dealership just arn't very good as everyone knows. And the car in general has a bit of body roll imo, but then again it's an economy car it has soft suspension.

18. dlai

dlai New Member

Thanks everyone for your replies. I finally was able to test drive a new Prius and I really like the car. I think there will be no problems driving the car on the roads I drive. I do agree however about the pillar. It sure does get in the way when trying to see around curves. Looking out the back is also different with that spoiler in the way. Plus the opening back there is sort of small so it's a bit hard to judge things. However, I'm sure I can get used to it. I can see why the Coastal rear view camera can be very useful for parking as well.

Again, thanks for the input, it was very useful...

19. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i feel i'm a little late.. but i like the handling. to a certain extent. At first the handling was ok. my 87 Lincoln Mark VII.. or.. my previous lincoln did about the same as the prius. my lincoln had a lot more HP though... so.. both of them matching up is good for the prius.

I also own an 85 318I BMW... now.. the prius does not compair.. but i don't have stock tires on my prius anymore. I have 17" Evolution racing wheels. speed tested to 118 mpg A ratings on handling and such. these wheels make the prius grip well. I wish i had a better anti roll bar.... can't think of the proper name. a little tired right now.

I can corner at pretty high speeds. The car does very well.. but the body roll is annoying. Maybe i'll get the lower springs and a stabilizer bar to go with it. Modifying the suspension shouldn't destroy the car in any ways :) it will still be Green.. just.. corner even faster. then again... i'm almost at the point that the car can simply not go any faster around corners... hehe.

20. kkister1492

kkister1492 New Member

Body Roll?!? My last car was a Plymouth Grand Voyager. THAT car had body roll. I was loving the feel of the Prius through the curves on the entrance ramps on the freeway. I agree about the the left pillar. Those tight mountain road turns to the left are hard to read without leaning forward a bit. But I only found 2-3 that I needed to do that on.

V8 - I thought you were going to take it easier around corners to make your tires last longer?? Maybe that someone else. ;)