1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

handling on ice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jo, Dec 17, 2005.

1. jo

jo Junior Member

While going up a snow covered icy hill this morning, my Prius would only go between 2 and 10 mph, and when I stepped on the gas, it made no difference......the tires were not spinning and there was no sound of the engine accelerating when gas pedal pushed.....I was not slipping or sliding, just not going......should I have shifted to B? I finally made it, but only after watching someone pass me and laugh........I don't like someone laughing at my Prius....
    was it the Prius or me that failed?

2. benighted

benighted New Member

Don't shift to B going Uphill. If you still have the stock Goodyear Integritys then thats likely what failed.

3. Bill Lumbergh

Bill Lumbergh USAF Aircraft Maintainer

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I tend to watch the dash (next to the snowflake) for activity of the traction control. Also, watch the speedometer for rapid numeric changes without an associated vehicle speed change. Both of these are indications of traction control activity, which means you're at the limit of what the tires can handle.

Keep light on the throttle and try to maintain forward momentum, and get some good tires for snow if you haven't.

4. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    had some exprience with this yesterday morning and was able to make it ok. my speed was low (about 10-15 mph...only slightly less than at any other time) and traction kicked in at least a dozen times and i could feel the power flipping on and off. not nearly as bad as i thought it would be. the road is a fairly steep one and about a block and ½ long with a sharp curve in it to boot.

with conditions that icy, i can't help but feel that this traction control will save a lot of stupid people's lives by limiting their speed on obviously hazardous road conditions. so i for one (probably one of a very few) am glad my Prius has this feature.

only problems i had was the trip down the same incline an hour earlier... now THAT was almost a problem. btw, on the way back, a tow truck was pulling this 4 wheel drive chevy pickup out of the ditch... bet ya a buck, he was wishing he had traction control too.