1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hands Free with Samsung Galaxy S4

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by SD_Heizenberg, May 20, 2013.

1. SD_Heizenberg

SD_Heizenberg Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Everyone,

I have a 2012 Prius and just purchased the Samsung Galaxy S4. I was able to pair my phone with the audio system with no problem and the phone prompted me to allow access to call history and contacts. When I initiate the hands-free commands on the steering wheel, the audio system recognizes my commands and the contacts on my phone, but does not recognized the type of number I want to call (e.g. when I say "call wife, mobile", the audio system presents me with several options on the screen and when I select any of them (even though they contain phone numbers on my phone), I get an error message saying "no number available"). I have tried re-pairing the phone several times and nothing seems to work. It doesn't look like there is a setting somewhere that I am missing but that could be an oversight on my part.

Does anyone know how I can fix this? As an aside, this functionality worked fine with my iPhone 4S.

2. ImeanGreen

ImeanGreen Prius v Five BP Brigade #236

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It may have been that your phone got confused as to which wife you were calling - wifey 1, wifey 2 or wifey 3. :) Seriously, try typing her real name. When I call, I just say ex. "Call Caroline" I have a SG3 and have no problems with it. I do encounter problems sometimes with voice recognition when the surrounding environment is so noisy and when road noise is excessive. Also check your volume settings in the "set up" menu for ring, voice prompt and phone under audio. Are there 2 phones paired while you made the call?

3. SD_Heizenberg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I am saying the contact's name; "wife" was just an example. The correct name displays on the screen and it asks me to choose the appropriate line since the example contact contains three numbers in my phone. If I select *any* of these lines I get the "no number" error. So it seems that the voice recognition is able to match up to the contact on the phone yet it can't distinguish the lines, and it can't dial any of them. If I manually navigate to that same contact on my phone and press the line, the hands-free system in the car engages fine.

For your other points, there are no setup options on my Prius. Once it's paired, I can only connect/disconnect phone and music.

And, no, there not two phones paired. I deleted the iPhone pairing. Again, the iPhone worked fine and I didn't do any special configuration on the car, much like your S3. Perhaps the S4 is using a different bluetooth version or the hardware is different? I'm open to suggestions.

4. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    When you were making that call and selecting the numbers, was the vehicle in motion or not? Try doing it while vehicle is not in motion. While in motion you can only use voice command and cannot use the buttons if I remember correctly. I think it has the software programed to where you cannot use some of the features while the vehicle is in motion.
    Press Set up, select general, under general, scroll down and select volume settings for ringtone, voice prompt, phone volume and etc. You can adjust it from there. For ringtone, press phone and select ringtone and go from there.

BTW, have you tried refreshing your phonebook? Try doing this by pressing phone and select refresh phonebook while your S4 is paired with your prius.

5. SD_Heizenberg

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I tried all of this while the vehicle was at rest. Regardless, the hands free works in either state and doesn't matter.

6. ImeanGreen

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Have it checked by the dealer. Have you tried refreshing the phonebook while your S4 is paired?

7. ask4jon

ask4jon Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I too have a prius 2005 and apparently there are several problems with the S4 and this cars blue tooth system. I have noticed on several posts across the net problems with pairing. I purchased the s4 and paired it the same day in the parking lot. It worked for a awhile but once on the freeway it started dropping out. I finally went back to Verizon and complained about it, they offered me a rebuild phone but I held out for a new one as I had only had the s4 for 11 days. I still had the exact problem and realized it was a Samsung problem. I called Verizon and they knew of the problem and told me that Samsung was releasing a fix. the fix came out and didn't work. its been a few months now, the problem is going around the web and no one is responding to the problem. I guess prius owners cant use this feature with the s4