1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Handsfree with screen off

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by Vancouver, Nov 6, 2009.

1. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I recently noticed something that I am wondering about. My handsfree button works well when the screen is on. I press the button, and I get the beep to enter my voice command. Everything is wonderful.

But when I turn off the screen it appears to also disable the handsfree button. Once the screen is off (to avoid the distracting display, screen burn-in, energy usage, etc. when I don't need it, I like to use the "screen off" button) the handsfree button on the steering wheel is dead as well.

If I press the disp button to reactivate the screen the handsfree button starts to work again.

Am I doing something wrong?

Is the inbound calling over bluetooth also disabled with the screen off? Or just the buttons?

2. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Not sure, but I would bet the handsfree still works.

I have a problem where the Nav system sometimes does not recognize that the DVD is in and the Nav does not start up. When this happens, the voice recognition system is also not funtioning, i.e. I push the button and get a quick beep like it was an error. If a call comes in I can aswer it with the buttons on the steering wheel and if I place a call from my phone, it comes over the BT in the car.

My guess is it is tied to the NAV system and if the screen if off, the NAV is probably disabled. Just a guess though

1 person likes this.
  3. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Does the button also get disabled for you when you turn off the screen? Seems odd to have to reach over to press the display button before pressing the handsfree button. Kind of defeats the purpose of handsfree a bit, no?

4. daveelt

daveelt New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Have never turned the screen off, can't answer that one. I just have the DVD error experience

5. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    By any chance could you try turning the screen off quickly and just testing it? If you press the "disp" button and then click on the "Screen off" button does your handsfree button work after that? After the test you can turn your screen back on by pressing the disp button again.

I'm curious if it is a bug on mine, or just the expected operation.

Thank you!

6. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    When the screen is off, the voice button on the steering wheel will not work. Don't know why, but it is clearly normal operation. Anything that wakes up the screen will re-enable the voice button, so I use the phone off-hook button on the wheel to bring up the phone screen and then use the voice button so it will take my command.

1 person likes this.
  7. Vancouver

Vancouver New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It is really helpful to know that it isn't a problem with my car. Thank you, Rachaelseven. The idea to use the off-hook button sounds like a workable solution to a rather odd programming choice.

Thank you!

8. garygid

garygid Senior Member - Blizzard Pearl

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    So, pressing the On-Hook (hang up) button when there is no call active (and the Screen is OFF) turns the Screen back ON?

If a call is coming in with the screen off, does the screen come on automatically?
    Or, does answering the call turn the screen on?

What is the "best" way to get the screen on, to see the Caller ID) when the phone is ringing, without answering the call?

During a call, if the Screen is off, what is a non-disruptive (to the call) way to get the Screen back on, perhaps to do ... ?? ... mute the microphone briefly?

Does the on-screen "Mute" turn off both the incoming voice (speaker) and the outgoing voice (microphone)?

When the phone "Mute" is ON, can one again hear the Nav Routing instructions and warnings?

Thanks, Gary

9. rachaelseven

rachaelseven New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I use the 0ff-Hook button to wake mine up when the screen is off and no call is active. That gets you to the phone screen and it will then accept voice input if you use the voice button.

Don't know for sure about it waking up for an incoming call or the rest of your questions... all very good questions.

I would say the best way to wake it up when the phone is ringing, if it doesn't come up on its own wold be the phone button on the dash. That should bring up the phone screen so you can see the caller ID without actually answering the call.

The "Mute" button mutes the microphone only, as far as I know, not the caller's voice, and does not re-enable the NAV instructions.