1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy Earth Day!

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by Mag Gris, Apr 22, 2008.

1. Mag Gris

Mag Gris New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    To all my fellow fuel-conserving Prius-owners.

I'm just lovin' my 48 mpg (and still tryin' for more).

:whoo:

2. Devil's Advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    :pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray::pray:
    :hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::hail::grouphug:

3. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Monday, 21 April, was John Muir's birthday (170 yr, 1838-1914). The groundwork he laid down continues in such things as the Prius, Prius PHEV, electric trains and beyond.

4. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    While I very much appreciate the Prius, I look forward to the 2010 PHEV Prius and beyond. At the same time we approach Peak Oil and considering 6.6 billion+ people, finite resources and air quality, the concept of most of us operating individual vehicles is not realistic or sustainable. We need electric light rail in cities and high speed rail between cities. Emphasis must be on local resources at a human scale (food, light, walking, bicycles, smart cars). All homes, churches, businesses and schools must be highly energy efficient with photovoltaics on every roof and an emphasis on renewable, sustainable, distributed energy (solar, hydro, wind). Every building must be climate-appropriate and positive energy (produces more than it consumes) while being aesthetically pleasing.

We have a ways to go, but changes are and will continue to occur more quickly than most of us realize. We have substituted oil for knowledge, and must now begin to apply the knowledge. Water and food will become increasing concerns. Efficiency will rule all of our actions (vs. spendthrift waste).

For the moment, it is good to "model what I teach." My Prius is part of the process, not the endpoint.