1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy Rumor: Honda Jazz (Fit) Hybrid !

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by EricGo, Feb 22, 2006.

1. EricGo

EricGo New Member

Reuters Newstory

TOKYO (Reuters) - Honda Motor Co. (7267.T: Quote, Profile, Research) plans to sell a hybrid version of its popular Fit subcompact model globally as early as the business year starting in April 2007, the Nihon Keizai business daily reported on Wednesday

$12K US, Insight FE.

2. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

That is completely awesome!!!!! It will be perfect for many who want the fuel efficiency but the prices on the current hybrid line-up are just beyond reach. Also, it will be great as a second car for just commuting. :)

Maybe that is what I'll consider when our Gen-1 is ready to be traded in.

3. SomervillePrius

SomervillePrius New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Yes, the combination of a litre engine with a hybrid system will be interesting (if maybe a bit loud). It seems like a good price for a hybrid. I suspect they will still use the IMA system so no real EV mode and not much chance of Li-Ion add-ons.

4. flareak

flareak Fleet Captain

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    mmm 82-84mpg in Japan. SUGOI (for the prius)

5. EricGo

EricGo New Member

I have thought since the beginning that IMA would trump HSD in small cars based on simpler design and cheaper price. Maybe I am right, after all.

A PHEV is what I really want, but if that is not in the cards, then this car is a leading candidate for the second car in the family when it comes time to replace the Subaru.

6. 2Hybrids

2Hybrids New Member

I know a lot of folks who want to take that leap into the hybrid world but prices are a little steep for them. The Jazz Hybrid would be quite a winner in that aspect.

Yes, definately a second car for us!

7. EricGo

EricGo New Member

If GM sticks their nameplate on it, could it qualify for the tax credit ? ;)

8. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Whoa! That's crazy. The Fit in Japan comes with a CVT and an 87hp engine. The one coming this spring comes with a 106hp, 1.6 litre engine with a proper manual and optional auto with paddle shifters. This Fit Hybrid IMA would give the Prius a run for its money. It's very practical ( rear seats fold down AND fold up so you can practically walk through the car in the back). The Fit looks bigger than the Yaris but it might be its height.

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Looks like a great idea, and there's bound to be a market for it. It'll be less car than the Prius (smaller, less powerful) but a lot more than the 2-seater Insight, and at a price that will attract the economy-car buyer. We techno-geeks won't be too impressed. I personally find IMA to be uninspiring (which is why I switched from Honda, who I much prefer as a company, to Toyota). But given the price it will allow a lot of people into the hybrid market who could not afford it previously. Plus, it'll be a whole bunch more hybrids on the lot for buyers to choose from, and might even make the Prius more available by siphoning off demand in the segment of buyers who really want a hybrid, and might have sprung for a Prius, but really couldn't afford the price and now will settle for the less-expensive car. And being a Honda it'll be reliable.

10. Potential Buyer

Potential Buyer New Member

Unless it weighs 1700 lbs, it won't get the mileage of an Insight, but it'll be a hell of a lot more practical and comfortable I'm sure.

11. emuman

emuman New Member

yea itll be awesome, nice and cheap for student and such :) and i made a topic like this too, lol because im so excited

12. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  13. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    So... I wonder if the Yaris Hybrid rumour will hold truer now that Honda has a display model.

14. johalareewi

johalareewi Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1 person likes this.
  15. tedjohnson

tedjohnson Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    Fit is great car. At 2500#, a manual tranny, reasonable driving style and I have gotten 40 mpg or better. It is geared for power, not hypermiling tho. Add a hundred or so pounds for the minimalist hybrid IMA, take off a few for a smaller engine , fix the gear ratio ....could be a contender.

16. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I own a Fit and I really like it. If Honda's IMA can be consistent and reliable and with The Fit if they can keep the same foldable "magic seats" and cargo capacity, I'd think a Fit Hybrid could be great. I don't see how Honda could integrate the Battery AND keep the cargo capacity...I'll be curious.

Sadly, I've heard rumors that they don't immediately plan to bring it to the United States...a Fit that could get 50+ mpg? I'd have to at least take a long look....

17. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Happy Rumor: Honda Jazz (Fit) Hybrid !

I know this is Prius Chat, so I don't want to talk too much H Fit here BUT...I bought the Sport with auto...and I like it, I consistently get in the 30's for gas mileage, in all driving but I kind of regret not getting a manual. More fun, and better gas mileage. If I had to do it over again....I'd probably by a newer used Prius...but if I bought a Fit...definently would be a manual transmission.

18. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Re: Happy Rumor: Honda Jazz (Fit) Hybrid !

lol... but we do have the Other Cars section =).

19. Tideland Prius

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Looks like we'll no longer get the worldwide Yaris/Vitz... Bah. Why does everything HAVE to get bigger and heavier? The Yaris is already quite spacious for its class. And here in Canada, we tend to get whatever the US gets. The chances of us getting a Euro Yaris while the US gets their own model is fairly slim.