1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Happy to join the ranks of Prius owners !

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by ~sparky~, May 27, 2005.

1. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

The big day finally arrived - after only a 4-week wait, my baby arrived last night - 2005 Driftwood #4 with only 18 miles :) .

Great buying experience (thanks to Angela at Big Two Toyota in Mesa, AZ), fantastic car (especially the tech), and i look forward to the journey more than the destination...

I already ordered the EV mod from coastal, and have an appointment to get tint, wheel locks and cargo net installed.

I'm thinking about:
    1) upgrading the sound system (non-JBL) - probably an amp and sub; maybe speakers
    2) leather steering wheel cover

Any recommendations, or other 'gotta have it' extras?

2. PaPrius

PaPrius Member

Congratulations. You're in for a lot of fun.

My Prius turned one month old today, and I still am learning new things about it each time I drive it.

I haven't made any mods yet, so I can't help you there. Just wanted to welcome you to the ranks of the owners of the best car on the market.

3. PeeDeePrius

PeeDeePrius Junior Member

Welcome to the "journey"

Hard tires and tailwinds to ya!

Mods? Better tyres. Start there and express yo-seff..

N-Joy!

4. Fredatgolf

Fredatgolf New Member

Mods depend on what you have. If for instance you have tan cloth, you may want to get tan leather arm rests at http://stores.ebay.com/Prius-Hoods_W0QQssP...derLinksQQtZkm?. The upholstery will clean fine ad infinitim, but the armrests don't clean as well and the floor mats are difficult to keep clean. I have ordered plastic mats to cover them from matdepot.com.

5. Beacher

Beacher Member

I'm considering a clear bra and am definitely swapping the tires for Comfortreds. Next week should be it... can't wait.

6. majordude

majordude Member

That's like getting a pocket protector for a Ralph Laurene shirt.

7. Beacher

Beacher Member

LOL

8. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

thanks... good advice!

:D

9. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    1. some kind of protector for the front end. i have a bra on mine but my car is black and it doesn't really stick out much.

2. rear bumper protector. i have put some nasty scratches in that plastic as a result of loading and unloading random things. I can't imagine how the bumper would look if I didn't put the protector on it!

3. I put on door edge liners so if I open my door too wide I won't damage anyone's car or my own door.

4. Mudflaps. I don't think mud will stick out as much on your car, but on black it looked awful. Much happier with mudflaps on mine.

5. Seat covers if you have tan seats. You can get them for a decent price at toyotapartsstore.com (I haven't gotten mine yet but i hear the covers are from GTCovers)

The steering wheel is a weird size so most "standard" covers own't fit. Try finding something that is made for the Prius. I think they're called Eurocovers? Someone said they really liked theirs.

Someone already suggested tires. So I'll leave that alone.

Customize it as you see fit, have a ball with your new car! :)

10. Edward3

Edward3 New Member

11. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    VVT-i emblem? =P

Cargo Liner if you carry lotsa dirty/muddy stuff around.

CD Changer?

JDM Scuff Plates? or JDM rear bumper protector

12. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

the wheelskin would look (and feel) great...

are there providers that will install the wheelskin for you? i'd like to make sure it gets done right, and not too sure if i'd be very handy with the needle... (?)

13. majordude

majordude Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(\"~sparky~\";p=\"93671\")</div>
    See my post here:

http://priuschat.com/forums/steering-wheel...html?highlight=

If I can do it, you certainly can as well! Probably better!

14. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(majordude\";p=\"93722)</div>
    dude! ... i'm impressed. as long as you're not a seamstress - er... seamster (is that a word :wink: ?) by profession, i think i might be able to do it!

btw, i like your color choice, too. is that perf leather on the sides, or smooth throughout? and you say that's the 'sand' color on the sides, not 'tan', right? how does that go with your tan interior - a close match?

much appreciated!

15. majordude

majordude Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(~sparky~\";p=\"93734)</div>
    I got the "EuroTone" cover instead of the "EuroPerf" because I figured the perf would get dirt and grime in the little holes over a few years of use.

The tan color WheelSkins offers is really the color of a football.

You can always do what I did. You can go to their site and request some sample swatches. I requested about six colors and they were here in three days. I then compared them to the interior or my car and opted for the two-toned cover with the dark on top and bottom instead of the sides (which is what their brochure has as examples).

If you get this cover I recommend that you put tape (I used medical tape) on your fingers where the thread goes when you grip it. If you don't, the thread will cut into you and after a few loops you won't be able to finish the job!

Also, when you go around the posts, don't stop on the hole just to the right or left of the column. Go one more hole on each side to really make it tight. (This probably doesn't make any sense to you until you try it.) If you simply stop at the column and then make the faux loops in front of the column and then start up again on the other side of the column, the cover on the backside of the column will be loose. I have mine so tight that I can't lift the leather behind the wheel.

I highly recommend this upgrade!

16. ~sparky~

~sparky~ New Member

thank you, majordude!

i ordered my wheelskin last night - very similar to your configuration (thanks for the pics - very helpful :D ) !

i've also ordered the kenwood mini-sub for installation in the sub-hatch area... should give me a few projects for next weekend!

thanks again.

17. dbird29

dbird29 Junior Member

The ClearBra has worked great, the car had rock chips after only 1 week without protection.
    I would do it right away.
    DBird

18. majordude

majordude Member

Glad I could help!

Take your time when installing it and you will have a cover that should last for many years!

19. Beacher

Beacher Member

dbird, can I ask how much you paid for the clear bra? And how what parts of the car it was applied to?

I was quoted $800 for the full package, $600 for the bumper and hood only. Ouch.