1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard Times - Need Help Fabricating Hotel Prius

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Ray66, Aug 31, 2010.

1. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I've finally decided to live in my Prius. I'm gonna try and rough it, and seeing recent threads about "Camping Out in a Prius has me excited to take the plunge. I'm living in Los Angeles so humidity/extreme weather is not a concern. However I need all your help to set up my 06 Prius as a Temporary Living Quarters.

* Window Dressings ( Heat Shields or Fabric Store Improvisation ) For Privacy ?
    * Mini Portable Fridge/Freezer ?
    * Memory Foam or Air Bed ?

I will shower at my local Gym every night and make Coffee/Cereal in the AM in the Prius.

I've got the Duracell Inverter so I can run my Laptop/Cell/Coffee Maker/Fridge in the Car.

Any help and or ideas highly appreciated in advance.

Thank you

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow, sorry to hear about this. I don't have any input on the questions but wanted to wish you well.

3. klm48116

klm48116 Owner of Gen I and Gen II

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been following this woman online through her blog. She has a section on how she set up her car for a cross country trip which sounds like she is spending a couple months living in her car. I'm very excited to give it a try someday. Not out of necessity but simply because I'm cheap and it will save on motels.
    I know her situation is different than your, but it may give you some valuable tips on getting the car ready.
    Here is her blog: Suanne Online in 2010

4. JimboK

JimboK One owner, low mileage

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Hobbit's "Prius Motel" might give you some ideas:

Prius camping

5. Sheepdog

Sheepdog C'Mere Sheepie!

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    wow. and I was moping around because my marriage in in danger and we may be losing one of the Pri next month back to the bank.

Being unemployed since April is not conducive to happy times. I will be praying for you sir and trust God will watch over you.

6. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've got the Duracell Inverter so I can run my Laptop/Cell/Coffee Maker/Fridge in the Car.

I don't think you can run the Coffee Maker on a simple inverter.

7. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks ... any more input appreciated.

8. fmi

fmi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have the use of a garage, you can use the opportunity to thermal insulate your car. Good for the coming winter months and even summer.

9. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wire your inverter directly to the 12v battery. Use an inline fuse holder to connect the positive lead. Leave the car in Ready when running the inverter for more than a few minutes. Make sure that your inverter is up to the challenge. I have had good luck with the 400 watt Cobra inverter but you may want to spring for the 800W, just pay attention to the rating on your fuse and holder. I like the Cobras because they also have 5V USB outputs for phone and MP3 charging.

Use 12V appliances where possible. Although, a 12V cooler is problematic, as it will drain the auxiliary battery in just a couple hours unless the car is left in Ready. If you have access to a freezer (gym? friends? work?) a good trick is to fill a gallon-sized plastic water jug 3/4 full of water and freeze it. Then this block of ice will last 2-3 days in a cooler, and you don't have to worry about the water getting all over the place as you would with a bag of ice. Actually, you instead have 3/4 gallon of drinking water!

With all of the 12V demand, get an Optima yellowtop battery if you don't have one already. But keep the old one in case you accidentally run down the battery too far and need a jump.

Consider investing in a camp stove. This allows for a hot meal and makes brewing coffee much faster than a 12V maker. Coleman makes a neat-o camp stove coffee pot.

Someone mentioned somewhere cutting down a sheet of plywood to make a bed platform. Being able to sleep comfortably is critical.

10. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks guys ... I haven't yet lived in the Pruis and decided to move abroad to Brazil. My Prius and personal items are stored in US, storage facility. I pay $115.00 monthly for storage and live like a Vegabound in Brazil. All is well so far, and pretty women galore!

11. hpartsch

hpartsch Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    wow, drastic move. Hope it all goes well.

Did you get a job there? Just curious how much is it per month for rent?

12. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Teaching English but it's chump change. I live off my investments in the US. The differece is, down here, it's a lot cheaper to live and women here are amazingly beautiful .... No comparison to American women. I can speak to a woman in her 20s and date her and possibly have a serious relationship where as in the US, my pickings are fat 40+ women with 2+ kids .... I'm 44, divorced, no kids, good shape.

Have not checked but if I can find a Prius is Brazil, I might buy one.

13. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Is a Vegabound some sort of vegetarian on the move? :huh:

Seriously, though... good luck. My DH and I have serious plans for moving to Ecuador in a few years, as it is much, much cheaper to live there.

14. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello Rae: I say go for it. I am in Medellin Colombia now. Headed back to Rio Monday. Ecuador is great, simple living. Have a few friends living there and they love it. Peru is also good. My life is pretty good and I can still keep my Prius back in the US, along with my Zuma Scooter.

I'll eventually buy a small Condo in Ft. Lauderdale once I recover money-wise.

15. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Wow, that sounds like a lot more fun than living in your car due to the rat race in the US!

16. krg03

krg03 Not expert, just experienced

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    ummmm. huh? hard times? EVERYONE is in some type of situation. I would think hard times are living without investments. Retired people (no job) have seen 401k go to zero. Lost their home and cars. You get to travel and live. Doesn't sound too down.
    Why not sell your prius and stuff rather than store it? How hard is hard times if you can store items with investments? No kids, no wife, just life ahead. hard times.......

17. Ray66

Ray66 New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm 44 years old, average guy ... Today, I met 28 your old Ms. Brazil 2006. She's got no kids, amazing physique, good job, feminine, etc .... In the US, I'd be stuck with who knows what... Hell, I had no social life at 44.

Google: Popozuda :D

God Bless Brazil, and it's women :cheer2:

I hope I don't offend anyone but I simply cannot imagine being married for 20+ years and 2+ kids, a mortgage and debt.

Have A Nice Evening Everyone !!!

18. Rae Vynn

Rae Vynn Artist In Residence

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can see DH would love it there...

I'm very glad that you are living the life you love... and, you didn't need to live in your car!