1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hard to decide

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by P160, Apr 7, 2016.

1. P160

P160 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm looking at getting a prius i-tech (similar to V).
    I'm having trouble to deciding on 2009 with 60,000 kms vs 2012 140,000 kms. (both cars are gen 3)
    both well serviced. I think the 2012 has done mostly highway kms. but it has more wear and tear (steering wheel leather is quite worn).
    both are similar priced. I dont know if I should go for the newer battery?
    any advice is appreciated.
    thanks.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome! some say time is harder on the battery than miles. hard to be sure with no real studies, just reports here. i would probably go for the one i liked more, all else being equal, they are both great cars. all the best!(y)

3. The Electric Me

The Electric Me Go Speed Go!

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Interesting.
    Going with the one you like the best...is the best ultimate advice.
    But you've got an interesting dynamic here.

A newer, but high miles for it's age vehicle...vs. an older but lower miles for it's age vehicle.

Really, with any used Prius I would invest with the open knowledge that HV Battery replacement "might" become necessary. Then put that issue aside. And maybe also the money that might be needed for that replacement.
    I think it's really hard to evaluate which battery might fail first or sooner. They both could fail tomorrow, or go years.

Then it really comes down to which you like the best.

On paper? Without hands on perspective. I think I'd be tempted to go with the older one, with much lower miles.
    I guess my feeling is if you are sitting in the newer one, and already "feeling" like it has more wear and tear, it probably does...

Mileage vs. Time is an interesting debate, and sometimes I think the opposite decision can be good. BUT...you are talking about a very big gap between the two vehicles mileage.

Good Luck...and whatever you decide, don't look back.

4. alanclarkeau

alanclarkeau Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There was a change in models in 2012 - I think they call it MY12. So they could actually be different models, both Gen 3.