1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hard to find exactly what I want

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by d2mini, Mar 21, 2012.

1. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Apparently loaded 5's are not as easy to find, and I'm really stuck on my color choices. I want the nautical blue and dark gray interior. Nothing exists in our entire region. Now I have to wait for the next allocation. How often do the dealers get allocations? And how long till the cars show up once the allocation has been posted? Of course the dealers want to sell you what's on the lot, or even what they can find at another dealer, readily available. But since I'm not in need of a car right away and the fact that at that level that is A LOT of money to spend on a Prius, I want to make sure I get exactly what I want and not settle.

2. cproaudio

cproaudio Speedlock Overrider

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    you want a five with advance tech and plus package? that's really hard to find. maybe that combination is not available in your area.

3. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That may also hurt your negotiating power. Rare combos may not be discounted much. :(

4. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    They are available in my area (Prius level 5 with Advance Tech), just not in the color combo I want right now. We've already negotiated, too. Thought we had one from another dealer but it ended up being sold. So now I'm just waiting to hear back on the next allocation.

5. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Can't the dealers special order one for you?

6. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    If you have not already done so, go to the dealer's website and look for their new Prius inventory. This will give you not only the dealer but the region inventory. If it has a VIN listed then it is assigned to the dealer, if not it is in the region. It also lists the availability dates which are usually a couple of weeks out.

If your car is not listed then you will have to wait until you see one in the pipeline somewhere.

I had the same situation as you. It took me about 2 months of waiting to find my car color and option combo in the pipeline. I found it at a dealer 100 miles away. My local dealer did not want to swap so I contacted the other dealer and bought it from them.

7. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    jd, thanks for the tip.
    I just double checked but my dealer already looked into it as well. Nothing in our entire region at this time that matches what I want.
    Everything I'm seeing though has vin#'s.

8. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I do not know. How long does that take? My experience in the past has been 2-3 months, with other makes.
    I also may not get the deal we negotiated on?

9. jdcollins5

jdcollins5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I need to clarify that if it has "complete" VIN's then it is the dealer. If it has VIN's without the last digits for unique serial numbers then it is the region.

If it has complete VIN's you are only seeing the dealer allotment and not the region. My dealer lists two numbers at the top of the page, one is the number of vehicles in the region inventory and the other is the number in their inventory.

You may want to find the region website to check their inventory to see beyond the dealer. My dealer wanted to sell what was on his lot and was not interested in getting one from another dealer.

10. ny_rob

ny_rob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The Blue is a very tuff color to get for some reason... that was my first choice too. I came up dry on that one after many attempts- and the prospects for getting one with the options I wanted were very poor at best.
    I eventually decided on Blizzard Pearl with the light grey interior- now I love that color and the interior is gorgeous. I'll like it even more when it hits 95F this summer without a cloud in the sky.

11. p00kienrayray

p00kienrayray Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hmm I honestly don't know as I've never placed a special order before. Maybe you can ask the dealer? If they don't honor the negotiated deal, then no problem, just keep looking around.

12. d2mini

d2mini Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Ok, cool i'll take a look.
    The one we originally negotiated on was from another dealer but it ended up being sold.

13. AZGeek

AZGeek Semi-informed Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    Perhaps Dianne can answer those questions. I'd like to know those answers as well.

I am in a similar situation, instead wanting a Red with grey interior. There just aren't a lot of those color combos coming over here right now. I know of one in VA, but that's too far away for me to consider.

It's been about 6 1/2 weeks since I placed my "order" but no news yet. I have a few more weeks to go before I can try to cancel my order and get my deposit refunded. Then I'll order through Dianne Whitmire at Carson Toyota. I should have done that in the first place. :(

My only solace is that I get to continue to enjoy my '04 for a little while longer. If I didn't have that then I would be way more anxious.