1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

hard to park

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by nikkiusaf, Sep 19, 2004.

1. nikkiusaf

nikkiusaf New Member

I dont know if it's because I've been driving smaller cars for so long but I cannot park my Prius. I've had it for a month, and it's always too close to one or the other car on either side, crossing the lines, or crooked. Then I never pull in far enough. I think it's because I'm not used to the short hood. Is anyone else having hard times parking elegantly? Do I have to do the SUV thing where I have to swerve waaaaay out into the oncoming lane to get in there straight? Or am I just a woman driver...

2. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Nikki: Nothing to do with you being a lady driver. Anyone here, no matter what gender, will have to admit that getting used to a new vehicle takes time. I've driven standard cars and trucks, 40 passenger busses, trucks and trailer, 152 ft. minesweepers, 366 ft. ASW destroyers and a 551 ft oil tanker and sometimes still screwed up. Any who tells you different needs a dose of truth serum. :D

3. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your definetly not alone. I used to be able to part my old car very well. The smaller hood does make somewhat of a difference. You don't "see" what strait is anymore.. you have to know you're straight. Trying to look out the side to see if you're strait or near the curb isn't too easy either. A good amount of times i park too far away from curbs. Parking spaces are a little easier for me. It was strange getting used to, but i finally learned that the car is short. You do not need to park on the little parking curb in front of your car. I finally learned to park a couple inches away from it, so i don't tear off my front spoiler. Good luck with parking. you'll get used to it after some time. I would recommend going out to a somwhat empty parking lot and practicing. Seeing it a few times over and over really helps.

4. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    The odd shape of the car does make it confusing. You think that front and rear are farther away from you (closer to the other cars) than they really are. What it takes is practice. Park the car somewhere there is a mark on the ground that you can see, then get out and look at how far away you are. Or if your problem is not being straight, look at how straight you are. Then get back in and look at the marks again from the inside. Repeat that a few times, on a number of different days, and eventually you will learn to judge the car's position from the driver's seat.

I am no expert at parallel parking, and I very seldom have to do it (it's not that hard to find a parking space in Fargo) but after 7 months of ownership I can park it as well as I could park my old car, which I drove for 15 years.

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    One of the tricks posted here before is to rotate the side mirrors down so you can see the ground/curb (only while parking). I think you'll get the hang of retraining your brain to use visual clues other than the corners of the car. Use Daniel's suggestion and you will know how far you REALLY are from the object in front or behind. Knowing that if you can see it, you can't hit it, pull up behind a parked car until you can't see the top rear edge of the bumper. If the distance turns out to be, say 3' (HYPOTHETICAL) you can then use that information by using objects out the side to gauge further forward (or backward) movement.

6. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Physical feedback is one of the strongest behavioral modification techniques. Try this: Roll forward toward something you can see at eye level, such as a wall. When you feel yourself jar to a sudden stop, that's the front bumper. Note how close you are to the object. Now roll backward toward something you can see through the hatch window, such as a lamp pole. When you feel yourself jolted into your seat-back, that's the back bumper. Note how close you are to the object.

There. All better.
    If you are a slow learning, you might want to bookmark this thread for future reference.

Glad I could help. :-D

7. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    :D :D :D :D I think I like my method better.

8. victor

victor New Member

Gilching Bavaria Germany, & Drapanos, Crete, G
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Canuck\";p=\"40563)</div>
    That must not only a bugger to park, but how did you get it garage :? :lol: :lol: :lol:

9. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Victor... the answer is "slowly and carefully" :lol:

10. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Tony, I like your method, but I'd substitute YOU for the wall and the lamp post (to get some external feedback as well...@#(*!&#$ you're on my foot!)

As for parking: I'm getting better, but I have quite often had to back up and "readjust" when parking in the lot in front of my office.

I did notice that the Prius seems longer than it really is. Maybe that also accounts for my feeling that people are driving too close behind me (aka "vehicular sodomy") or cut in front of me too quickly from the passing lane. Or maybe they just ARE rude drivers.

11. JJay

JJay New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    After 6 months I still have to open the door in a parking lot to see if I'm reasonably between, and straight with the lines.

I agree with Kathryn, when I back in, it seems I leave more room behind than I really need to.

12. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree it is a tough car to to park. I have had mine for a month and am still working on it. I guess that I will figure it out, it is getting better!

13. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    :lol: I'm getting a British comedy chase scene in my head with me running from you yelling as I go. Rather Benny Hill-ish. :lol:

After driving a Buick Regal for a few years, I always compensate for the trunk and the hood. I really think I pissed a girl off who was behind me and I kept checking to see if she was making contact. And my wife insists that I'm driving closer to the center line but I think it's because the car is a little thinner and she's more to the center of the lane. There certainly are some mental adjustments that must be made.

14. Kathryn

Kathryn New Member

Are you wearing a dress in this scene (as British male comedians tend to like to do)?

What we really need are "training bumpers." Some kind of inflatable bumpers that we can put around the car, that beep when we hit them, and then we can train ourselves to better judge the length and width of the car.

I think the Prius is both shorter and a bit wider than my previous car, so it is taking some getting used to. My worst "parking" is when I back into my short dead-end street and then into my driveway. I still end up too close to one side or the other of the driveway.