1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harman Kardon Drive+Play installed

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by benlenz, Sep 1, 2006.

1. benlenz

benlenz Junior Member

Ok, you caught me. There's no ugly.

The Good
    The unit/components look great and installed without meaningful problems. Everything works, if not exactly like the iPod, then pretty closely. Here's pics of the completed install. http://priuschat.com/Pics-of-my-DrivePlay-...all-t24015.html

The Bad
    I'm pretty pissed at HK.
    Part of the functionality of the D+P is that you can attach a second audio source, (i.e. phone, or in my case, a GPS unit) and have it automatically switch to that device when it senses audio coming from it. There's a setting, called "Auto Audio Sense" which you set for this. So, I hooked everything up, and it does make the switch to the GPS audio.

What I had expected was that the D+P would switch to the secondary audio for as long as there was signal, and then revert to the iPod. Apparently not. You have to push the main controller button to make it revert. Unexpected, but not a problem. However, when the second "audio event" should have come thru from the GPS, it fails to switch over. I checked the settings, and find that the "auto audio sense" is no longer set to "on."

I repeated this same set of actions several times to make sure I wasn't missing something, and read the (very skimpy) manual over and over.

Finally, I called HK support (a number which it seems they would rather not have you find, based on my difficulty in finding it). The young man at the other end was very pleasant, and even agreed that my assumptions about how it should work were indeed how it does work. When I assured him it was not working in that way, he had me hold while he experimented with a unit in his office. After a few minutes he returned to tell me that I was right, and that it's a glitch in the programming, and that there's nothing that can be done.

I was pretty incredulous. Though it seemed from his initial reaction that he had not encountered the problem before, he seemed unfazed by the fact that HK sold the units with a glitch that compromised the functionality. No attempt was made to address the problem further.

In retrospect, I should have taken it up the food chain, and perhaps I will follow up on it. I was and continue to be amazed at the lack of concern over what is, ultimately, a defective product. It really makes me wonder what kind of company HK is.

Has anyone else experienced this problem, either with the D+P or with HK support?

2. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    hmm. we haven't tried to connect another device. we should try that.

i really like the D+P but the sound quality through the wired fm transmitter (we have an 05, none of those fancy aux-in jacks like in the 06) isn't as high quality.

3. eagle33199

eagle33199 Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    I was just looking at this last night on crutchfield (mainly cause i was bored, partly because a friend wants some audio work done to his Camry)... While i think the Dice or Vais is better (since it integrates into the car controls, especially the steering wheel), i'd love to have a combination of this and those... something that integrated it into the car, but also had and auxilary display like this so i didn't have to change the MFD display to see what was playing, control the radio, etc.

On a side note, why didn't toyota put in some sort of display on the radio itself? i understand they wanted to integrate it into the MFD, but couldn't you do both? I'd just like to be able to glance down without touching anything and see the radio station, or CD track or a scrolling display for ID3 tags on MP3's. Seems that having to mess with the MFD only forces you to take your eyes off the road, creating a potentially hazardous situation...

I wonder... could i get both this and a Vais unit, and create a splitter/joiner for the iPod input?