1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harmful to leave Smart Entry Remote in the Car

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jomilt, Jul 3, 2005.

1. jomilt

jomilt Junior Member

For 15 years I have left my keys in my cars/trucks when it's parked in our attached, locked garage. With my new Prius... I now go out to the car only to NOT have my keys...

Is it harmful to the car to leave the Smart Entry Remote IN the car while in the garage?

Thanks!

Jomilt..

2. KTPhil

KTPhil Active Member

Yes, you'll run down the battery.

3. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Howdy,

In NV if your car is stolen and the keys are in it you are held (from partially to completely) responsible for any actions the car has been involved in due to negligence. This is especially true if a minor has taken the car.

I for one, do not want to contribute or be involved in even the slightest chance of lawsuits or prosecution resulting from something that is so simple to avoid…

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

First off, note you cannot easily lock the car with the keys in it.
    When the car is not locked, SKS is not polling outside for the fob. I don't believe the room oscillator polls for the fob in the car unless an event warrants a check.
    Events that would warrant a check:
    1. you are trying to power up the car.
    2. Car is transitioning from Ig-On to READY.
    3. you are trying to lock the door.
    4. you opened a door, esp with the car not off.
    5. I believe periodically with the car powered up.

5. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"104142)</div>
    This is easy enough to check. There's a little LED on the fob that blinks every time the car interrogates it. I did a quick, incomplete check during lunch and I believe I observed the following...

1) Turned off car, the fob blinked every 3 seconds or so, and the dash displayed the "key in car" light.
    2) Opened the door, left the fob on the seat and the fob continued to blink every 3 seconds.
    3) Closed the door and the fob blinked for a couple of more times and then stopped blinking. However, the "key in car" light continued to be displayed on the dash.
    4) A little while later, came back to the car and watched the fob for a few minutes, but did not see any blinking, but the dash still displayed the "key in car" light.
    5) Opened the door, and the fob started blinking again.

It would appear that the car assumes that once the doors are closed, any fob left in the car will remain in the car until a door opens. Therefore, it doesn't bother checking every couple of seconds.

I assume that same thing occurs while driving. Once the engine is on and the doors are closed, it can assume that the key will remain in the car and doesn't bother checking every couple of seconds, or likely at all. However, if you turn off the car or open a door, it would start checking again. I haven't tried this one, but it would make sense, given it's apparent behavior with a fob left in a turned off car.

I will try this more throughly later, because my wife will often leave her purse (and therefore her fob) in the car when we go together somewhere.

6. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

If you are talking about the red car symbol, that isn't 'key in car'. It is the immobilizer symbol, but its pattern has no real logic.
    One minute it tells you the alarm status, under other circumstances, it has a whole different meaning.

I believe you will see it blink whether the fob is in the car or not, even/especially if you don't lock it.

Power off: blink
    open door, close door: blink
    Lock car: steady
    30 seconds from locking car: blink.

7. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DanMan32\";p=\"104142)</div>
    The interior dome light turns on at night when I approach it. I know it definitely does this when locked (I usually don't leave my car unlocked). I suspect, but am not certain, that it does this while unlocked too. If that's the case, then wouldn't it need to constantly poll? I'll have to check to see if it does the light up on approach when unlocked later.

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

No, it doesn't turn on the dome when you approach when unlocked.

But you can always see the poll by observing your fob. The fob's light will come on when it transmits.

9. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Yeah, I tested the dome light when Prius unlocked last night.

I'm a bit concerned about my sanity... I could have sworn that at some point, I've seen a discreet red LED indicator on the fob that glows when I'm it's being polled, but I can't seem to locate it now (I'm not near my car, BTW). I guess I'll try again when I'm near my car when it stands out a bit more... If anyone has a chance, mind describing the location of the fob LED to me?

10. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

With the lock button up, it will be to the right of the lock button. You should also see it if you press any of the buttons. It is practically invisible when it is not lit.

11. ryogajyc

ryogajyc Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Ah, thanks! I feel better about my sanity now. :p Talk about a discreet LED!