1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Harmon Kardon Drive+Play installation on an '05

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by smaulio, Jan 7, 2006.

1. smaulio

smaulio New Member

Just got a HK Drive+Play for Christmas, and am having it installed this week. I know that my 05 Prius does not have an aux input, so it seems to me that my only option for the D+P is to hardwire it to the stereo via the FM antenna wire.

This is not an ideal solution for me -- I'm worried about the sound quality and plus using the FM interface just seems inelegant to me.

But do I have any other option? Could I, for instance, go through the CD player somehow? I've ripped ALL my CDs to MP3, so I would be willing to disable the CD player and use that if it would work. But the guy at the install shop said that the in-dash CD changer can't be used for hooking up the D+P.

Also, wondering if anyone else has hooked up the D+P or other units via the FM antenna wire, and how the sound quality is. If the sound quality is good, I suppose I can live with the inelegance. :)

Matt

2. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Galaxee came up with an idea (or actually her DH did to throw her off the scent of an IPod adapter) to tap into the tape input. Either way, you'd have to understand electronics and tear apart the radio.
    Another idea since you have JBL is intercept the JBL amp input from the HU with a manual switch, since it is the amp that does the volume and the like, not the HU. Amp changes pre-EQ based on the anticipated input source.

There are Aux-in adapters that plug into the port behind the HU. Many have a hard time with the JBL HU, since they too emulate a changer.