1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone broken the 600 mile tank barrier yet (mixed highway and freeway)?

Discussion in 'Prius c Fuel Economy' started by PriusCinBlack, May 16, 2012.

1. PriusCinBlack

PriusCinBlack Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Edit: (highway and city, I meant)

It took me a few tanks, but I did finally break the 60 actual mpg tank mark a couple of days ago (60.7 actual mpg). Went 531.9 miles on 8.76 gallons. I put about 2500 miles on the car before I was able to beat 60 mpg. I've been doing a small amount of city driving, but mostly highway.

But has anyone gone over 600 miles on a tank yet with a good mix of highway and city yet (only city driving is cheating!)? I figure that, with a 9.5 gallon tank, 60 actual mpg isn't far from being able to do that. I just haven't pushed to get the last drops of the tank yet. The farthest I've gone before filling up again is that 531.9 miles. I generally let it get down to two bars of gas.

2. managerman

managerman Prius v Nerd

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Might have made it on fumes on the last tank....close but not quite...Actual was 59.8! fill up was 9.2 gallons...
    I still marvel at going 550 miles on 9.2 gallons of gas..Cost about 33.00..blows me away....Loving my C more every day!

-M

Attached Files:

3. walter Lee

walter Lee Hypermiling Padawan

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    To get +60mpg calculated at the pump or +600 miles from a 10 to 11 gallons of gas from mainly highway driving (fillup is about 30-60 miles after the last bar of the fuel gauge starts flashing), a Prius c will need overinflated tires (+7psi, e.g. 42psi front /40psi rear), a max speed between 50 to 58 mph, no head winds, no extreme uphill elevation climb, 60-70F driving temps, smooth dry asphalt (no rain), no AC/heat/defroster, and each trip will need to be atleast 50 minutes/30 miles long (unless the Prius c is being prewarmed up using an Electric Block Heater). A hypermiling technique called "Driving with Load"(DWL) should be able to push a Prius c to +65 mpg on the super highway - but the DWL speed variations are only practical/viable when the traffic is light. Going over 60 mph for any length of time will decrease a Prius c fuel efficiency making it less likely that the Prius c will get more than 60 mpg -- so top speed is a key factor to increasing your tank range on the super highway.

4. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    ^lol, thanks for bringing the sanity back to the thread. I've made it to 559 miles (with many short trips and little interstate driving). I *might* make it yet, but it will be difficult given all the prerequisite driving conditions that need to be met.

Let's wait until the first 600-mile tank is achieved until we start nitpicking about percentage driven on the interstate/city. ;)

5. dazeja

dazeja Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    One
    I've only had mine for a month and I have had three fill -up all of which I got 590, 590 and 592 the last I got 590 and only filled-up to 9.1 gallons.

JJay likes this.
  6. SquallLHeart

SquallLHeart The Techie Guy

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    i drive too much highway to reach the 600/tank mark.. but considering the mileage i get from highway.. i could easily get the 600 mark if it was mostly city.

7. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    At fuelly.com, alimoeeny lists a couple of 600 mile tanks:

PriusC (Toyota Prius C) | Fuelly

I'm hoping that the picture posted has some sort of color shift and is not a true representation. :)

8. F8L

F8L Protecting Habitat & AG Lands

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    It is possible but will require a truly stellar tank and running it on fumes.:)

FWIW I went 594.8 @ 60.7mpg today on 9.801ga. So I would guess a few times two more miles per gallon and a stout heart and you'll get your 600 miles. LOL

managerman likes this.
  9. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's great MPGs! What did your gas gauge look like when hit the 590 range??

10. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    I hit 600.1 miles on a tank of ethanol-free gas today and filled up with 9.5 gallons. Probably wouldn't have fared quite as well with ethanol given the triple digit desert temps. To answer the above question, the final gauge was blinking. I suspect I could've achieved another 50 miles on the tank (but not without breaking a sweat).

XRinger likes this.
  11. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    That's on my bucket list.. I want to drive around with some 'ethanol-free gas' in my tank again.. :)
    Congrats on hitting the 600 mile tank.. Did you take a pic of the info screen?
    I'm interested in knowing the ave speed and percentage of EV displayed..

12. vinnie97

vinnie97 Whatever Works

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    N/A
    Nope, didn't have a phone or cam with me at the time unfortunately. However, I can tell you the avg. speed was a creeping 27 mph (I forgot to take note of the percentage EV use). This was in eco mode as well.

13. Rocco Speranza

Rocco Speranza New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't understand why they didn't put in a little larger tank. I'm sure they could have. The extra 10 lbs would be worth it for most to be able to go over 600 miles easily.

14. XRinger

XRinger Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    It's the 'C', made for the City, where there's a gas station every other corner.
    Actually, I think we might have about 30 gas stations within a few miles of our house.

My wife heard the warning beep today, and stopped at the next gas station, 30 seconds later. (She got 8.463 gallons)
    We now have over 1,098 miles on the 'C'!! In just 55 days!
    (It's a bit high because of the long road trip to Burlington Vermont: 437 miles 50.8 MPG).

So, I think the tank is the right size for us. We will only have to buy gas about once a month.
    And, it's nice for the Hypermilers to be able to shoot for 600 miles on a tank.. :)
    Maybe someone should make a Bumper sticker for them.. 9.5 Gallons=600 miles!

15. Rocco Speranza

Rocco Speranza New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    True, but I supposed in general for all smaller cars. I guess it could be a safety thing as well...
    My Hyundai Accent only has a 11.9g tank. Could it not have a 15g and not have to fill up for a lot longer? Would help if you could estimate lower gas prices and when they change.

16. PriusofDoom

PriusofDoom New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    I can only wish! So much traffic in Seattle.... But with the nice weather, just tonight I hit 500.7 for the first time, filled up with 8.5gal and the light had been flashing for about 8 miles. 58.8 wooo!

600.../jealous

17. Mrodz08

Mrodz08 New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    I too am jealous of the 600+ miles some people are able to get. I drive a lot of highway and was dancing at the gas pump when I went 502.8 miles on 9 gallons of gas, it blows my mind.

18. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    IMG_3375 (800x409) (400x220) (300x165).jpg
    As per OP definition, this is cheating because it is mostly city with a large portion of rural road and only a few dashes on the highway. There is alnost a gallon of gas left in the tank as well.

BUT ...... I think this qualifies as a tank over 600 miles.

19. chicagoaficionado

chicagoaficionado Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    There needs to be a better standard for saying highway or city. Highway, you could sit in rush hour traffic and ev for miles. City could be concidered suburban 45mph zones that open up and everyone goes 55 on. Or they could be clogged and max at 25mph. Average times are skrewy too because of the leaving your car left on, stop lights, traffic ect. Don't get me started on your local temps that you start your car in either.

Basically I take everyones numbers with a grain of salt, even if they have pics. Even you uforya :D. well maybe not you...

20. ufourya

ufourya We the People

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if it comes with a grain of salt, we'd better hurry up and consume it before it is outlawed (the salt, that is.)

There are so many variables that I think a picture is the very best way to save a thousand words.