1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone come up with a better trunk-light-lens? Mine is broken.

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by Mambo Dave, Dec 19, 2022.

1. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    The little light on the driver's side of the trunk-area has never been satisfactory. I replaced the build with an LED bulb, and that was only marginally better.

Now, however, the actual light may be broken - probably bumped too hard by some of the gear I put in the back of the car every weekend. So it may be time to replace it, but if I could find a better option that might or might-not plug into the wires, that would be great. I detest that small light and its location, and it's time for an upgrade if I can find it.

TY

2020XLEAWD likes this.
  2. bikeprof

bikeprof New Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Mambo Dave

I find that really annoying...
    NOT having enough light/lumens with that itty bitty light and searching in a luggage area, ARGH !
    I am wanting to add another light similar to other side, to probably tap into rear brake light housing(?).

Let me know what you come up with..., I'll do the same.

3. ColoradoCrow

ColoradoCrow Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    HI. So I own 2 Gen 2's. both 2008. The trunk light is poorly planned out. I replaced ours with a 9" section of 12 Volt rated.LED Strip. I soldered leads onto the strip and used hook side velcro on the back of it to velcro it to the carpet on right near the old OEM Light. I even added a push button switch to turn it on and off. Most of the time I just leave it on. It lights up the entire hatch space area for when loading gear and groceries. I'll try and post some pictures when I get back home in a week.
    12 Volt LED Strip Lights - LED Strip Lights By Voltage - LED Strip Lights & LED Bars | Super Bright LEDs

here is a link to an example. But you can try home depot or Lowes for a smaller amount.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  4. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Mambo Dave likes this.
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Most promising thing I've seen anybody do was put some LED lights in the hatch trim so they really shine down in the cargo area when the hatch is up. (Who'd'a thunk it?)

Mambo Dave and ColoradoCrow like this.
  6. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    It is arriving Sunday. I'll figure out the next step. It is a good solution, and should be a low current draw for the lighting it will give.

I've always thought about playing with these light strips that I've seen on Amazon, but I've never seen one up close, didn't know much about 'em. But for $15, f it, I'm in!

You da man. Thank you.

7. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Did you put a resistor or any such thing in line with the car and the strip, or is the strip safe enough to run off of the varying voltages of a Car (from 11.7 to 14 volts)?

8. Hidyho

Hidyho Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I bought this, its also sold in Prius Shop, I like it, it works good and works off of the current light.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  9. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Hi. I did not use a resistor at all. Just soldered it direct to the existing power lines of the existing light. I did meter them before and was getting 12Volts. I’ll try and update photos shortly. Still traveling.

Mambo Dave likes this.
  10. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    Thank you.

11. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    C7381691-CEE4-472C-8E80-D6702B7FB7BD.jpeg 7423B9F1-F066-4EB8-AD95-AB2D07E80CC8.jpeg
    First pic is my Prius with the Red Rocker switch. Second is my wife’s. Later at night. Illumination is really good unless you block the light with groceries.

Attached Files:

12. Mambo Dave

Mambo Dave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius
    Model:
    L Eco
    I love that you used the lens of the old light to be the switch-panel of the new light, lol!

13. ColoradoCrow

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    I
    Yeah. I figured I didn't want to damage any body panels. And the old light lense would be easy and cheap to source if I ever needed to get a new one.

Mambo Dave likes this.