1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by keaggy220, Dec 4, 2005.

1. keaggy220

keaggy220 New Member

I am so used to not using keys with my Prius that I am now getting out of our Honda and leaving it running. My wife looks at me like I'm a nut and I fell like I'm senile.

2. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Dude this is normal. Prius SKS Syndrome. Well recognized, have you tried pushing the dash to start the car? Have you found that no mater how hard you press on the brake at a stop the ICE will not stop? Have you gotten into you car and put it in gear with out removing the keys from your pocket. Yes you have SKS Syndrome. It is not presently curable, but research in on going. The only hope thus far is that all cars have SKS. Those of use working on the problem live in hope that we can help you drive rental and other cars.

3. 925PriusGuy

925PriusGuy Winter Gray & Blizzard Pearl Pri

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Prius SKS Syndrome ...that's funny :D

I don't have a problem with the keys, it's the brakes. Since our three cars are so different, I forget that the brakes in the Prius grab a little differently than the other cars. It takes me a couple of stops to adjust to it.

However, I get the impression that I'm the only one in the car finding the humor in it... :lol:

4. heliotropehead

heliotropehead New Member

I'm still without my Prius and in a rental Corolla. This past week I was a complete wreck. Having to search through my purse for the keys, repeatedly touching the door thinking a black button would magically appear, no Nav to watch... The pedals are too sensitive and there's no power button!! It's definitely a tough transition. What's worse is I have seen so many Prii on the road recently! It's too cruel. <_<

5. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    And the brake does not work! You put it on and nothing happens for a second or more. What is that?

6. seasidetraveler

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I have the problem too.... Almost every time I get in my truck, I leave my key in my pocket- then I have to fish it out! My Princess does spoil me!

7. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    More than once I have walked up to my wife's car and grabbed the handle. You would think that the different shape of the handle would remind me but all the same, I'm surprised and confused when the car doesn't auto-unlock.

8. keaggy220

keaggy220 New Member

This is funny. I've only had the car for three weeks - which makes my behavior very scary, even though it doesn't seem that I have an advanced case of SKS...yet.

I CAN believe that I will soon be looking for a button on the dash of our Honda.

9. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    It’s a new era.

Back when cars first came out with an inside starter, I’m sure many a folk had climbed out of their cars, walked to the front bumper, and bent over . . . expecting to find a crank handle . . . only to hear the engine clankin’ away.

It’s a new era my man, a new era.

Sometimes we must subject ourselves to driving those old clanky cars. :huh:

10. daveke

daveke New Member

I know how you all feel.

However, I found it strange long 'before' I got my Prius. I'd walk up to my old vehicle in parking lots and jerk on the handle thinking they would open because I'd forget that I'd locked it. I always felt silly.

My Prius understands me and does it like I've expected them to for years. I guess I was ahead of my time in a sad sort'a way.

11. tag

tag Senior Member

Ditto and ditto. SKS is a great feature but it's spoiled me damn near to death. On the rare occasions I've had to drive our CR-V, I have, more than once, found myself buckled in behind the wheel with no keys! So, it's unbuckle belt, open door, walk back into house, locate fob and key..............Ugh!

12. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Yup. I'd reach into my pockets to unlock the Camry but for whatever reason, it doesn't click in my brain that I should take out the keys, so I get into the car, sit down, put on my seatbelt then realise the key isn't in the ignition.