1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever learned anything from a defensive driving course?

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by jared2, May 8, 2006.

1. jared2

jared2 New Member

I just did my once every three year course on Saturday. In 6 hours I did not learn one thing. Is it me or the course?

2. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]251485[/snapback]</div>
    Never taken one...why do you have to take it every 3 years?

I would think it would be something that could be useful on a one-time basis, particularly for newer drivers, but how every 3 years would do anything to improve one's driving is beyond me.

3. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have never taken one.

With that said, I think I could probably learn a thing or two. I think it would be beneficial for drivers to take in ever 3 years.

4. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(efusco @ May 8 2006, 12:20 PM) [snapback]251489[/snapback]</div>
    In New York you get an insurance discount of about 10% on your liability insurance per year for taking a course. You have to take it every 3 years. So it is not only useless and absurd, but Sisyphean as well (see avatar)

5. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

I don't think you can truly be HIGHLY effective at defensive driving until you have the perspective or a highly offensive, aggressive, method of driving.

If you can, take your car to an autocross, or open track day, and go balls to the wall if you can, I think you'll learn more in one of those days than an entire month of defensive driving classes...

6. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    They offer them here for those want to pay less of a fine for thier speeding or accident tickets.
    They used to only offer them 4 times in a life time, but I think that has changed.. :unsure:

I have to take E.V.O.C. (40 hr Emergency Vehicle Operator Course)(you have to pass to drive) every other year wich teaches proactive driving. I wiped out alot of cones the first two days.. Driving a E-250, they just dont handle like a impala or a crown vic...(but I learned alot) Another neat trick is shuffle steering it slows your hands down and provides smooth steering instead of jerking movements.... Its a real B*tch going into a side in a E-250 on the skid pan you think its gonna flip any moment but it doesn't using the shuffle method.. :blink:

I did meet a younger 30ish instructer and dated for a while from a class I took many years ago but thats the past... :rolleyes:

7. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Are you talking about a Skip Barber/Bob Bondurant type course where accident avoidance and wet driving skid control is taught and practiced? What exactly did you do during your course?

8. jared2

jared2 New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(koa @ May 8 2006, 01:06 PM) [snapback]251528[/snapback]</div>
    I wish. That sounds like an advanced driver training course. No, this one was in the basement of a library, on very hard plastic seats (almost as hard as the Prius'es). The instructor, a middle aged women of perky disposition and loud voice actually asked for 2 people to volunteer to be 1. a train and 2. a car. (I always avoid role playing, especially playing the roles of ananimate objects.) I was amazingly interested in a spot on the floor at that point, one which required all my attention. By the way, practicing skids was what I did a lot of on the icy roads in Canada when I was 17. I would skid around every corner and haven't hit anything yet. Lots of fun.

9. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    I had to take a driving course. Funny how many things were covered in that course but none of them had to do with me making a left turn onto a perfectly good street without seeing the sign saying that there are restrictive times. It's alright, the officer was rather cute.

Anyway, I learned that it is dangerous and illegal to stop and let pedrestrians cross the street in the middle of the block. They shoudln't be crossing in the middle of the block anyway, but if you stop and they start to cross only to be smashed by another car, you can be held responsible.

I've seen this with cars. For example, a T-intersection. The main road (north/south) is always congested Southbound during morning commutes. Cars come from the West and usually turn right from the side-street to join traffic (heading south). In this case, cars yeild and wave them in. Occassionally, someone will stop and wave in a car turning left (northbound). What happens is that the car comes through the southbound traffic and can't see that there is a northbound car. Due to the back-up of cars, the Northbound car can't see the car coming from the sideroad until it's nose has popped out through the line of cars. I've seen more than one car go into the field to avoid a collision.

10. jared2

jared2 New Member

The merges in the highways around New York took some getting used to. Not only are they very short, especially on parkways where you have to actually stop, then go like hell to get up to highway speed. Very dangerous, and it takes a lot of experience to deal with. Not only that, but the merges to the highway often merge together before they join the highway - so there are two steams of traffic merging onto the same ramp. Lets just say it takes a lot of experience. After a while, you get good at it.

11. nerfer

nerfer A young senior member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 11:15 AM) [snapback]251485[/snapback]</div>
    I've learned a few things, like (at least in IL) you do not have to stop for a school bus stopped with its stop sign out, if you're on the other side of multi-lane highway. I thought you didn't have to stop only if there was a dividing median, but apparently a double-yellow line is enough. Obviously you do need to stop if you're on a two-lane road, or following the school bus.
    Also, and this shouldn't have been a surprise to me, but it's for your own safety that you have other passengers buckle up, particularly in the back seat, or they could fly forward and hit you, often skull-to-skull, in a collision. So even a driver wearing a seatbelt can be killed by a passenger not wearing one.
    I'd still prefer an advanced road-driving class, I think that would be much more useful. And a driving test on every renewal for senior citizens and random others as well. In America we have the focus of making everything on the road fool-proof, other places keep the fools off the road to begin with.

nerfer

12. Mystery Squid

Mystery Squid Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 01:42 PM) [snapback]251562[/snapback]</div>
    Yeah, and the pavement quality generally sucks balls too.

13. Somechic

Somechic Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Be careful, because the rules differ by state. Here's the rule for stopping for school vehicles in New Jersey.

Stopping for School Buses
    Do not pass or closely approach a school bus with fl ashing red lights.
    State law requires that motorists stop at least 25 feet away if traveling
    on a two-lane road, or on a multi-lane highway where lanes
    are only separated by lines, or on a privately maintained road.
    Slow down to 10 mph if traveling on a dual highway, if on the opposite
    side of a safety island or a raised median.
    School buses are equipped with yellow, amber or red fl ashing lights.
    Yellow or amber lights alight before the bus stops, and red lights go
    on when it has stopped. Do not depend on these lights if traveling
    behind a school bus. These lights could be malfunctioning.
    When the bus stops, motorists traveling behind or approaching
    the bus must stop at least 25 feet from the school bus. Watch for
    children, and then proceed slowly, at 10 mph.
    If a school bus has stopped directly in front of a school to pick up or
    let off children, pass from either direction at no more than 10 mph.

14. Trevor

Trevor Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(jared2 @ May 8 2006, 12:15 PM) [snapback]251485[/snapback]</div>
    My class was doomed from the start because it was the first springlike day after winter. No one wanted to be there including the instructor. The only reason I was there was because I had just purchased my Prius and I wanted the insurance discount. All I could think about was getting out of the class so that I could take the car for a spin.

The only things that I learned were some really obscure legal things that didn't have a whole lot to do with defensive driving.

15. skruse

skruse Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes, as part of a POST (Peace Officer Standards and Training) curricula (13 weeks) and with the National Park Service (12 years). I drive proactively based upon this training.

16. TonyPSchaefer

TonyPSchaefer Your Friendly Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Nerfer is correct about the school busses in Illinois and I thank Somechic for pointing out that the laws vary depending on what state you're in except for Malorn who is perpetually in a state of denial. Sorry Malorn, I shouldn't have but my darned fingers just wouldn't stop typing. ;)

Another thing that is Illinois specific: Yeilding to vehicles with lights and sirens.
    A couple coworkers debated this one so I called the Sheriff's office and confirmed it on speakerphone. You MUST yeild the lane to an emergency vehicle but are NOT required to stop. If you are traveling in the opposite direction, you are not required to take any action. Situationally, you must be aware of what the emergency vehicle is doing. If you are approaching an intersection, be aware that vehicle may want to turn in front of you. If you are in the middle of a block or stretch of highway and there are no turns, don't sweat it.

17. ghostofjk

ghostofjk New Member

I taught defensive driving for two years for Salt Lake County employees as well as to those who got tickets.

The printed curriculum was pretty boring, so my co-instructor and I were always thinking of ways to dramatize some points, as well as other ways to help keep people awake.

Asking students to describe THEIR favorite "driving gripes" can almost always serve as a more interesting starting point to reach something in the curriculum than just wading through the printed matter.

Looking back at my own teaching after 20 years, two things stand out as "red flags" to this day when I drive: the dangers of following too close and the fact that about half of all urban accidents occur in left-hand-turn situations. When all is said and done, helping to create a "red flag" in someone's mind is the best you can hope for in one of those classes.

Even now, especially on freeways, when another driver changes lanes by cutting in front of me, reducing my "safety following zone" by 50-75%, it triggers an automatic response in me to try to reclaim that following space as soon as possible, even if that means changing lanes myself (in back of someone, not in front). Who hasn't had close calls because they were barely able to stop in time (or had to pull off to the right because they COULDN'T stop in time) when following? ALL rear-end collisions could be avoided if people drove smarter.

And whenever I get in a left-turn situation---my turn or that of some other driver in one of the three other intersection locations---I really check out the other drivers (as well as those alongside them, or fast approaching).

We had some simple exercises to demonstrate to students how much slower their reaction times were than what they thought they were. :)

18. hycamguy07

hycamguy07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Somechic @ May 8 2006, 04:12 PM) [snapback]251659[/snapback]</div>

In Florida when approching a police or emergency vehicle with its lights no that is stopped on the raodside or right/left emergncy lane. Drivers are supposed to slow down and shift into the other lane on a multi-lane roadway or if on a 2 lane road they are supposed to pass at 20 mph less than the posted speed limit.

Do not pass or closely approach a school bus with flashing red lights.
    State law requires that motorists stop at least 25 feet away if traveling
    on a two-lane road, or on a multi-lane highway where lanes
    are only separated by lines on the same side as the bus,
    if traveling on a dual highway, if on the opposite
    side of a safety island or a raised median you are free to drive at a decreased speed.
    School buses are equipped with yellow, amber or red flashing lights.
    Yellow or amber lights light-up to warn the drivers that the bus is slowing to a stop and red lights go
    on when it has stopped. and all traffice behind the bus must stop.

19. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    As soon as my daughter decides to get her license (she's turning 16) I'm going to enroll her in a driving course next time we're in California.

Kids should be required to take the Skip/Bob driving courses.

The best performance mod anyone can make is to use the money to take driving courses since the money you spend will transfer to every car you will ever own.

20. hawkjm73

hawkjm73 New Member

I learned three new things in my course. These are for Arizona, and are likely completly wrong elsewhere.

1. Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of-way in a crosswalk, which may or may not be marked. (The continuation of a sidewalk at an intersection is always a crosswalk, as an example of an unmarked crosswalk) Hit one and be damned. They do not, however have the right-of-way elsewhere. Due caution is all that is required.

2. This one really suprised me. It is NOT illegal in AZ to change lanes in an intersection.

3. This one made my eyes pop out. It is illegal to drink or have an open container of alcohol in the passenger compartment of a vehicle. Space intended for cargo by the manufacturer is not included. This means that in the bed of a pickup, the trunk of a car, or behind the rear seat of a Prius, it is perfectly legal to have and consume liquor. Yikes!