1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone ever lost weight drinking diet coke? Thanks Rumsfeld.

Discussion in 'Fred's House of Pancakes' started by burritos, Oct 10, 2007.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    http://www.rense.com/general33/legal.htm

Don't worry. None of this will ever go mainstream media. Soda advertising revenue is too important.

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't drink diet anything. Don't like the taste. Now that I have acid reflux, I rarely drink sodas anyway. I don't drink coffee. On the rare occasions I drink tea, I use cube sugar. The real stuff.

I don't have bread and butter very often either, but when I do, I use real butter. I do use unsalted butter. Have for...uh, decades now.

3. moxiequz

moxiequz Weirdo Social Outcast

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Drink iced tea. It's a scientifically proven, completely indisputable FACT that drinking iced tea makes every single problem in the world go away. At least for a little while.

4. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you weigh 80kg and you drink a 600ml bottle of diet coke and you get back on the scales you will weigh about 600 grams more than you would have before, so diet coke puts on weight.

I imagine they have but in combination with other dietary changes.

5. priussoris

priussoris New Member

As a matter of fact YES I have lost weight just by drinking diet soda, I hated the stuff from the start but you get used to it.

When you count the 30-45 mg of sugar in a 12 oz. can of reg. soda vs the 0mg in a diet it does work.
    have been on diet soda since jan. this year have lost 13 pounds from the soda alone.

6. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(burritos @ Oct 10 2007, 01:04 AM) [snapback]523462[/snapback]</div>
    Huh?

What is there to worry about? How many cans of diet soda have been consumed by humans at this point - and name one directly related medical malady from them please? Life expectancy is up or down since they were introduced? Any large class actions lawsuits yet??? I mean please - if there was one shred of real evidence that they were harming people the lawyers would be all over this - they still have to settle for made up cases of asbestos, silicon breast implants, etc... :lol: And my son is joining their ranks in two and half short years.... boy is he going to have fun :D

I think you take a greater risk to life and limb by driving your prius every day than by drinking a can or two of diet soda??

The media should be focusing on news - real news - like the lack of human shields in Burma - joke here. Or perhaps the Dems signing onto a wiretapping bill?? Or Hillary's negative ratings????

You do raise a good point - what % of the "media's" revenue is directly related to the soda/water/beverage companies??

7. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I haven't tried it myself, and I don't know anyone who has, but I'm pretty sure that if you drink only diet soda, and eat and drink nothing else you will almost certainly lose weight. Seems like a dangerous way to go about it, and death from malnutrition is likely to occur long before any tumor would form.

8. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    http://www.presidiotex.com/aspartame/

Aspartame is as safe as Weapons of mass deception... c-mon, follow the money! Safety isn't important, just profit!

Got to luv capitalism. go USA.

Don't use aspartame-laced products. It is NOT safe. It is getting hard to avoid it as most all chewing gum has it. Looking at various items' ingredients is apalling (sp?)

Just sad, really. whatever happened to natural organic foods? why did we become so artificial chemical overdosed?

9. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I'm sure some people have lost weight while drinking diet coke. The coke of course is irrelevant. You will lose weight if you consume fewer calories than you burn. And since diet coke has no calories, it neither adds nor subtracts from either side of the equation.

However, most would-be dieters tend to compensate: They'll drink a diet soda and then feel that since they have "subtracted" from their diet the calories that a real soda would have had, they are "entitled" to eat something else that has too many calories.

The calculation is erroneous. They have not subtracted any calories by drinking the diet soft drink. The net effect is that their bad reasoning has led them to use the consumption of diet soda as an excuse to consume more calories, and therefore defeat their attempted diet.

A better strategy is to drink water. Water does not feel like a "substitute" for soda, and therefore does not make you feel like you "deserve" a high-calorie snack or dessert in "compensation."

But as these psychological effects are generalities, not universalities, some people will lose weight while consuming diet coke. (But their teeth will still be rotted away to the roots by coke's other ingredients. It's the first choice of mechanics for removing calcium encrustations from battery terminals, and is known as a good choice for removing enamel paint from cars.)

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(finman @ Oct 10 2007, 07:59 AM) [snapback]523531[/snapback]</div>
    The reason is simple. A 12 oz can of Coke has 140 calories. That is 11.67 calories per oz. To lose a pound of fat you must eliminate 3500 calories either by diet or exercise. A pound of fat is equal to 300 ounces or 25 cans of Coke. A simple way to look at this would be for every 12 pack of Coke that you don’t drink, you will lose about ½ a pound.

Of course how much eliminating soda from your diet will affect your weight is determined by how much you drink. Is your addiction a can a day or a pack a day?

Of course the tone of this thread seems to be that the aspartame in diet soda will kill us all. That may be, it does cause problems is lab rats when they are force feed more aspartame per day than you could possible eat. Of course we also know FOR A FACT that obesity kills. If you are going to chug 6 cans of Coke a day, or drink the 32 to 44 oz soda that seems to come standard with any meal at a restaurant these days; I’d say you are better off gambling with aspartame than the known killer of obesity caused by the 500 calories in that regular soda.

Myself, I try to go by the age old saying, “everything in moderationâ€. I’ve cut back on juices and sodas and started drinking water instead. When I do have a flavored drink it is usually a beer or a regular soda like IBC or Jones cream soda and I only have one.

11. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Oh my God!!! I just learned on the internet that sugar causes cancer!!!! Well, it increases the risk of cancer, that's the same thing, right? Now just who are we going to blame this on???? I bet if we tried, we could pin it on Bush.

Pancreatic cancer tied to fizzy drinks and sugar

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("MSNBC")</div>

12. dbermanmd

dbermanmd New Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Marlin @ Oct 10 2007, 11:52 AM) [snapback]523624[/snapback]</div>
    Jeez - just like the global warming data - it changes year to year and there are so many variables that it is nearly impossible to understand or account for them all. The only difference is that humans are not as complex as the planet.

Rumor has it that RedBook is publishing a report next month that proves life leads to death.

still the absence of lawsuits here in lawsuit central usa and the increasing life expectancy and the total volume of product consumed leads reasonable people to believe that they are reasonably safe to consume in reasonable amounts and that like in everything in life there will always be 1-2% of outliers to this.

13. paulccullen

paulccullen New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(dbermanmd @ Oct 10 2007, 05:44 AM) [snapback]523528[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, about one in 6000 people die on the roads each year in the USA. Pretty staggering odds, but travelling is essential to our way of life.

Drinking diet cola is not essential to one's way of life (unless you're an obese coke addict who needs to lose weight to survive :eek: ).

I'm sure there are few, if any, recorded deaths directly attributed to aspartame, but the reduced health and shortened life-spans are likely significant (tho' hard to measure)

Personally, I prefer honey...

14. Marlin

Marlin New Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Holy cow!!! It just keeps going. Now I read that drinking water can cause bladder cancer!!!

Fluid intake tied to bladder cancer

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE("The article")</div>

15. patsparks

patsparks An Aussie perspective

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    My wife drinks between 1 and 2 litres of diet coke each day, she is near 50 years old and has had the diet coke habit for many years, 15 at least. I'll let you all know when she gets cancer.

16. Earthling

Earthling New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Since I quit drinking carbonated soft drinks, my acid reflux problem has gone away completely. When you think about it, there is no redeeming value to drinking carbonated sugar-water. Substitute grape juice or fruit juices, or tea, and you are at least getting some good anti-oxidants and other beneficial ingredients. I've even gone to upscale iced tea, to get real sugar instead of high-fructose corn syrup, which is another money-maker for big food, but damages your health.

What I have heard about diet soft drinks is that they tend to cause weight gain. The body expects an intake of calories when you drink a "sweet" diet soft drink. It gets very disappointed when there is no payoff in calories, so instead it reaches for potato chips, cookies, whatever it can get it's hands on to replace those calories that were denied it from the diet drink. People who guzzle diet soft drinks are only fooling themselves. If you want to quench your thirst and don't want calories, good old-fashioned water is by far the best choice.

To your good health,

Harry

17. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    there are still conflicting studies out there but afaik the general level of consumption is far below the level that induces harmful effects. keep in mind, MASSIVE doses are often used in scientific studies that one would have to try REALLY hard to match over the course of a day.

a bigger concern in my mind is all that high fructose corn syrup!

18. daniel

daniel Cat Lovers Against the Bomb

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    [attachmentid=11926]

This makes the best drink: You add tap water and it takes out all the nasty flavor of American tap water. (Probably not intended for purifying unsafe water.) Really clean water tastes GOOD! Available at big-box stores everywhere.

Attached Files:

19. Danny Hamilton

Danny Hamilton Active Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(daniel @ Oct 10 2007, 02:20 PM) [snapback]523740[/snapback]</div>
    You know, I've never tried it, but I've always wondered if I poured soda, or tea, or coffee, or some fruit juice into one of those, what would the result be? It'd be a waste of money, but a pretty neat demonstration if everything but pure water was filtered out of every one of those fluids. ;)

20. SSimon

SSimon Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Water and occasional coffee is typically all I drink. I don't relish ingesting chemicals and try to stay away from aspartame (though I really do like Dairy Queen's fudgies). I'd rather the extra calories with natural sweeteners like sugar (unbleached) or molasses.

After hearing how bad soda is for our environment, I'm glad that I don't have to make a sacrifice to eliminate it from my daily diet.

Just out of curiosity, what's so bad about high fructose corn syrup concerning health? I heard that this stuff was horrible before. Is it the chemicals used (if any) for processing or simply the by product of formaldehyde that's bad? I do sometimes ingest this in small quantities as it's in some snacks that I like.