1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone gone from owning a Prius to a different model, and then back to Prius again?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Main Forum' started by bullet875, Apr 28, 2013.

1. bullet875

bullet875 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Persona
    I started out driving SUVs (mainly the Hyundai Santa Fe) whihc got 12-16 MPG. When gas it $1.60 in my area in 2003, I bought a 1st gen Prius (loved that car!). When the drive train had issues 4 years later, I traded it in for a 2007 Prius, then traded that in for a 2010 Prius. My kids are older and all built like linebackers so I traded the 2010 Prius in for a 2011 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid. The Sonata got me about 32-34 MPG on 70 mile round trip to and from work daily, and I just never really liked the car so last week, traded back to a 2013 black Prius Persona (always wanted a black car). I am in LOVE again ! While owing that the Sonata I always felt like a traitor because I loved Prius so much.

In my estimation, the Sonata hybrid "blue drive" just didn't seem as "hybrid" as the Prius. I guess that's because the Sonata is a parallel hybrid and the Prius is a series/parallel hybrid. I found the Sonata to be a disappointment in the MPG area. Build wasn't that bad, though it did feel cheaper than the Prius (I had the premium model that I pad $33,000 + for). I also liked the look of the Sonata, and it seemed to have more features than the Prius, but the hybrid only got about 4 MPG more than a regular Sonata did when I had to borrow one when the Sonata was in the shop (lots of recalls...and a roof header that came loose and sagged after owning the car for 2 weeks). I will never go non-Toyota again..and will stick with Prius unless Toyota comes out with an even more fuel efficient car.

Has anyone else out there switched form Prius to something else and then back to Prius again?

ncmm87507 likes this.
  2. ncmm87507

ncmm87507 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I had 2 2008 Prius yes, two! I traded it in for a Honda Ridgeline truck. MPG's TOTALLY SUCKED!!!! So I went back and bought a 2013 Prius again. And I LOVE IT!!!!

3. Lutchenko

Lutchenko Will Perrin

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    I had a 2010 10th anniversary Prius as a company car. I left the company and got myself a BMW 530 M Sport and a Mini cooper S. Now I'm back with a Prius. The BMW was stupidly thirsty and if I'd have kept the mini I would have stuffed it eventually as it induced me to drive like a loon lol

4. cycledrum

cycledrum PSOCSOASP

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    If your grown kids still ride in the car, did you check out the Camry hybrid? No slouch on fuel economy.

anyhow, good question and yes. Owned 2009 Prius for 2 1/2 years, didn't work out, sold private party. Made quick choice on Accord coupe. Nice car, but last 2 door I'll buy. Back to 2011 Prius. Love the fuel economy, easy to use, but I don't like being in the car. Don't feel it was really built for someone as tall as me: don't like seeing wheel up near my knees. Futuristic interior design not as cool as they may think. Who else is copying it? No one.
    Matter of time and it's gone. Too bad cause buying and taking depreciation hit is really biting. Nissan Altima is definitely tall friendly, but I'm seeing quite a few average and below average 'circles' in my Consumer Reports buyers guide chart. Same for other Nissan models.