1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone gotten the rear bumper applique

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by Bill Compton, Mar 27, 2004.

1. Bill Compton

Bill Compton New Member

Has anyone purchased the rear bumper applique to protect the back bumper from scratches?
    How thick is it? Are you happy with it?
    Thanks in advance.
    Bill Compton
    Northern VA

2. priitis

priitis New Member

I have the applique, it was already on the car I purchased. It's unobtrusive and I think it probably does protect the bumper, so I don't mind having it. I'm not sure how thick it is -- maybe about 1/32"? Not sure how to estimate that...

3. inventor00

inventor00 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    What color is it? Is it Black or clear? I have seen several sites and cannot tell from the picture. My Silver "Fannny" needs some protection (grin).
    What about the clear xpel or 3M film used for the clear bra stuff? (as in make my own...

4. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

I have it too.

The applique is mostly clear and difficult to see. There are raised "things" on the horizontal surface which are a light gray. I believe the word "Prius" is spelled out in the gaps between these marks, but it is difficult to see.

It covers most of the horizontal surface of the rear bumper and has a small "lip" which folds over the corner.

I would very much suggest getting this. I have two chips in the paint of my bumber already (6 months old) which would have been prevented had the applique been there.

*WARNING ABOUT THE APPLIQUE*
    (just to be sure to get your attention)

Have it installed by your dealerships *body shop*!

I took my car in for regular maintenance and had it installed then, but the maintenance people. The applique promptly began to form air bubbles. As a result I have to take my car back in (am waiting to do this) and will have to have the current applique removed and have a new one installed.

5. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I purchased an applique when I got the car, it was going to be about $20 cheaper to put it on myself...or so I thought.

First, some special cleaner is recommended. Then you have to spray a vague quantity of soapy water 'evenly' over the rear bumper, then you have to place the applique on. There are no clear guides as to exactly where it goes--the center is pretty easy to find, but it's hard to tell how far forward or back, etc.

Then, you need a squeegie to try to quickly get the soapy water out from beneath...this too is pretty tricky as the edges like to stick down and not let you get the water/bubbles out. If it moves you can't, easily, slide the applique around to the correct position, you have to remove it completely and reapply and go through the whole process again.

Ultimately I failed to get mine on. I had large bubbles I didn't know how to remove (someone later told me to just pop them with a pin--wish I'd tried that). It looked uneven with a couple creases I'm sure weren't supposed to be there. I pulled it off and threw $40+ worth of plastic applique in the trash--hardly a savings.

IF you have experience with window tinting or applying the 3M type protectant you can probably do this yourself without a lot of trouble. If you do not have experience you might be able to do it, or you might be out your $40 like I was...I say it's worth a few extra bucks to have the dealership do it.

I've found that I'm doing OK without. I don't really put stuff on the top of the bumper anyway, I CAN see how that corner of the top edge could get chipped/dinged and that the protectant could help prevent that and if you do a lot of loading/unloading out the hatch then it may be in your best interest to get the applique to avert the risk and cost of damage and fixing that damage.

6. seasalsa

seasalsa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I went the 3M route and ordered it from:
    http://www.invinca-shield.com/asp/genkit.asp?kit=4482
    I installed it before I started the installation of the clear bra to learn how to install the other stuff. It installs easily, I had only one very small bubble and followed their directions and removed the bubble. It looks good and has already saved me a couple of scratches. Oh yes, it cost $21.

7. macman

macman New Member

I have it and IMOH I think it is a waste of money. $62 for a thin piece of plastic that I doubt would prevent a nick if something was dropped or slid across the bumper.

8. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hmmm, while certainly you can have your opinion as to whether it's a waste of money or not, I disagree about it's protective ability. It is a tough piece of plastic that will, indeed, prevent most scrapes and damage. If you drop a refridgerator or drag a very heavy object with a sharp edge across it sure, it will fail to protect. But I bet most minor blows from say, loading a bike in, or groceries, or resting a box with staples on the bottom and other every day stuff that would scuff the paint it should do a fine job of protecting.

It's pretty tough stuff if you handle the raw, pre-applied, product.

9. mretc1

mretc1 New Member

How much are the Toyota dealers charging to install? I received my applique on Friday and just ran into the issue of purchasing the 3M prep solution and the 3M Gold squeegee. Had to go to a specialty automotive paint store and didn't get there before they (unknowingly) closed at noon today. I was also going to use this as a test to see if I wanted to try installing the 3M invinca for the front of the car.

Evan- your experience is not exactly giving me confidence!

Anyone with experience installing and some recommendations on easiest way to install? Did you pre-heat the bumper?

Thanks,

Eric
    Black and tan BC
    Raleigh, NC

10. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

My dealer charged me around $15. For the amount of time it should have taken it is a horrible expense, but I decided to accept that just in case something went wrong during the install... which is exactly what happened. So, instead of being out another $55 I just have to wait for them to get a new one in and install it again.

I do not believe the original installer used any form of heat gun, which is why it may of failed. I am having the install done by the body shop the next time, so it should be done right.

11. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    No, no heat gun or anything like that is needed, there's a contact adhesive on the applique and there are instructions on the method for applying with the applique and it does not call for a heat gun, just the cleaner, soapy water, and squeegie.

12. Mike N

Mike N New Member

Is there an article on this BBS or some other web site that describes the proper installation techniques for this stuff. I purchased the protector but didn't realize that there was a trick to applying it.

13. efusco

Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I don't think so...there are instructions with the protector...or there should be anyway. There really aren't any 'tricks' per se, I think it's more of a technique learned with experience more than anything. I mean, any monkey can stick the thing on there, but if you want a professional install with no bubbles and placed on perfectly straight and stuff it's good to have some experience, or recruite someone with experience, or let a pro do it for you.

14. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I installed mine without any problems. I did get it about 1/4th inch too far to the rear but it's not a problem. I did mine in my basement garage and it was a little cold so I used my wife's hair dryer a little bit to warm the bumper. It looks fine and almost invisible.

15. mretc1

mretc1 New Member

Did you use the suggested 3M prep 70 and squeegee? Any national chains carry this stuff? I am having trouble finding the 3M-70 without buying a gallon-

16. glscheil1

glscheil1 New Member

I used whatever came with the rear bumper kit. The instructions that came with it were clear.

17. TCD

TCD Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi Folks,

I went a slightly different route on my last car (Lexus RX300) and I will do the same for my Prius. I have lots of big dogs getting in and out of the back of my cars. I went to a spray-in bed liner shop and had the top of the back bumper coated. The dogs could not scratch it yet it gave them traction to get in.

I carefully masked off just the area I wanted covered, had it sprayed in black and it looked like the factory did it.

However, I positively do not recommend the franchise Line-X due to masive problems with their Reno shop. Yes I understand that they are all seperate small businesses however, given the grief I had and the lack of factory support I make it a point to never recomend them. There are lots of spray-in bed liner shops and some do-it-yourself kits. Now you can even select from a wide range of colors.

YMMV...

Good Luck!

18. Fletch

Fletch New Member

I purchased it. Biggest mistake of my life. Looks absolutely ghastly. The dealer that put it on was so embarrassed they gave me my money back!

19. Hoagie

Hoagie New Member

I've had it installed twice now... the third one is one order. :p

The first looked... ok. This second time is absolutely horrible. The dealer just order another one to replace it again, and is having someone else do it now. Geesh.

A for effort, at least. :lol:

20. tmorrowus

tmorrowus Member

For those of you who have these things, and say they are protecting, what exactly does that mean... do you mean the applique gets scratched and that's better than having the paint scratched? Or does it mean that something that would have scratched the paint doesn't even scratch the applique?

Because if it's advantage is just that the applique gets scratched rather than the paint, I don't think it'd be something I'd want.

But if it actually is a stronger surface than the paint then perhaps.