1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has Anyone Installed Polk MM6501 Component Speakers in a Level II?

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by mainemanx, Oct 15, 2011.

1. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I want to install a Polk Audio MM6501 Component Speaker System in a Gen III Level II front door and squawker locations.

I am concerned about fitting the Polk crossovers down beneath the squawker openings. The crossovers look huge, and I'd prefer not to take the Dremel to the dash.

Note that mounting the crossovers in the doors would require and extra set of cables/wires/leads running from the crossover back up to the squawker... noted elsewhere to be a difficult process.

Comments, suggestions, observations... please. :confused:

2. spiderman

spiderman wretched

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is plenty of room in the dash behind the head unit which I would guess you would have out, yes? They look nice and really enjoyed my Polks in the past. Let us know how it goes. Are you going to get another set for the rear?

1 person likes this.
  3. mainemanx

mainemanx Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thank you spiderman... sound system master!

Locating the crossover behind the head unit would require another set of speaker wires from the crossovers to the squawkers... I gather this wouldn't be too difficult.

Another thought I had was just splice-in wires from the squawker areas down to the top of foot wells... and mount the crossovers on the upper kick panels, somewhere down in that area.

Regardless, I need to bite the bullet, disconnect the battery, remove the squawkers and take a look...

Again, thank you for your advice and encouragement!
    -------------
    Edit: Yes, another set for the rear... either MM6501 and mount the tweeters high on the doors as did netgo... or the coaxial MM651s.