1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone installed the BT Brace on the 2006?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by windstrings, Jan 22, 2006.

1. windstrings

windstrings Certified Prius Breeder

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Does anyone own an 06 that has installed the BT brace?..... and if so can you tell any difference at all in the ride?

My car feels like a dream.... can it get even better?

2. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I've got a 2005 and felt like you, couldn't believe the car could get better, didn't have some of the problems others complained of.

But I bought the stiffening plate and put it in anyway, just on faith.

And it does make a difference. I take corners so much better now. As soon as it warms up I'll be installing the spoiler.

I can't find it, but someone has installed the plate on a 2006 and said it does make a difference. The car takes corners better and it has stiffened up the frame.

Do a little searching for the thread. And you can always e-mail Brian and ask questions. He's really great.

3. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    'Strings. Check out DocVijay's personal mods thread. I believe that he's installed the BT Stiffener on his '06.

4. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Yes, I have it on my 2006. It did make a difference. Link below. I have no picture of the brace mounted, as it looks just like the 2004-05.

5. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Hey.. thanks guys.. looks like I better get it....

6. koa

koa Active Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I have it on my 2006 also. It is very easy to install. I kept mine on the ground and just reached under from each side and unbolted the Toyota brace and bolted on the BT brace the same way. You might need someone on the opposite side of car to hold brace level until you get first bolt in or use a few pieces of wood or something if you're by yourself. Follow the torque instructions, don't overtighten the ss bolts.

I didn't get a chance to drive the car much before the brace was installed. I live on a wet, winding mountain road with a bunch of hairpin turns and am happy with the cars handling. I have not noticed a wandering on the freeway at 75 mph with strong winds etc.

The original brace is so flimsy compared to the BT brace. I can torque the original with my hands. I can't see how the BT brace could not help improve the handling. Well worth the money.

7. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Ok.. I did the deed.. I ordered two of them.... I'm sold!

8. J.Wilkie

J.Wilkie 80 Mile Daily Commute

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    I recieved mine last week, it looks like and easy install too. Anyone do it the install in their driveway?

9. Godiva

Godiva AmeriKan Citizen

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I did. Well, my Dad's driveway. Didn't jack up the car either. Just slid some plastic underneath to slid under with. It was a little tight. I didn't have any problem holding the plate and putting inthe screws. Don't over tighten. And I did work back and forth tightening a little each time so they'd all be pretty evenly tightened. Plate is no brainer. Read the directions and make sure you have all of your tools. I didn't use a gauge but just felt it.

And I really like the improvement it made in my car. It feels so much tighter on curves.

I'll be putting the spoiler on when the weather gets warmer.

10. Bob Allen

Bob Allen Captainbaba

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Consider this a delete of my post; I submitted my question without reading the post ahead of me.

11. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I just used a ratchet and did it without jacking up the car. You can easily reach the bolts from the side simply by reaching under the car. It's VERY, VERY, VERY simple to install.

12. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Ill have to recheck, but seems like I remember there is supposed to be about 21lbs of torque..... but that may be wrong.. Ill have to check.

13. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    it's 22-24 ft/lbs of Torque. Great product. I almost hate to think about the poor soul getting befouled there bolted to the bottom of the car. If you took a spoon and scooped out your brains you could still install the plate in about 5 minutes. You might drool more but it'd still be a snap. :lol:

14. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Really? Would it NEED to be a spoon, or is that just a suggestion?

I wasn't going to get one of these, but now I MUST! :)

15. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

thanks Tripp... and thanks for spelling torque right.. I forgot how... I'll go back and edit :D

Gee I might have a chance too!.... you know my eye that pops out seems to be more of a problem tham my drooling..... it was worse when I was a kid! :lol:

If I could only get my left leg to quit dragging all over the place I'd be ok.... but I think I can crawl underneath the car ok and should be able to install in once I get my good eye on it.

16. Edison

Edison Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I installed it on my '06 after about 200 miles. From having test driven an '05 a few months earlier, I can say that the '06 has a noticeably stiffer chassis and better feedback ("road feel") in the steering than its predecessor. I think that the BT plate helped my Prius a little but probably not as much as on the '04 and '05 cars. I'm definately into cars that handle well (the Prius replaces an Audi A4, and my "summer" car is a turbo Miata), so I think that the plate is worthwhile even if the effect is not huge.

My only beef with the installation is that it requires a 6mm Allen wrench SOCKET so that you can employ a normal torque wrench. I used a regular Allen wrench (extended by vice-grips) and had to guess at reasonable torque. The point, I assume, is to get the screws snug enough without stripping the threads on the sheet metal. which is not too hard. The plate itself is gorgeous.

17. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Humm.. I'm trying to think of the best way to torque that..... I have a wrench, but I don't have allen heads for it....

What have others done?.. are the heads avail for purchase?

18. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

I just used an Allen wrench. That's it. I'm guessing it's tight enough; it hasn't fallen off yet.

19. darelldd

darelldd Prius is our Gas Guzzler

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Any good hardware/tool store would have what you need. They sell Allen bits that are stuck to socket ends. Jeez, I'm at a loss for the terminology. They look like sockets on the wrench end, and an Allen hex on the other.

Swing by here and I'll get it on for you. ;)

20. windstrings

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

I do like Northern CA!.....

thanks.. Ill go get one.....