1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone owned a Fit?

Discussion in 'Other Cars' started by Tickwood, Jan 3, 2009.

1. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    I am thinking seriously of replacing my wife's dependable but dull 1997 Nissan Sentra with a Honda Fit. Does anyone have have anthing to share about the Fit?

2. Freedom

Freedom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Re: Has anyone hhd a Fit?

Never had one. Considered at the time I was looking. Decided it was too small for my needs. It is quite a bit smaller than the Nissan Sentra, will it suit? That's all I can think of.

If you search, there is a forum for them, you can get some info there I suppose, too!

3. Tickwood

Tickwood Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited

The small part is the big advantage. Anything bigger than the 1997 Sentra would not fit in the garage,

4. Boo

Boo Boola Boola Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A

I love the Fit. In fact, the Fit and the Prius were the two finalists for me when I was looking for a car in 2007.

I ended up with the Prius only because the Toyota dealer was first on my walk uptown on 11th Avenue here in Manhattan (where most of the car dealerships are), and the Toyota dealer had the Prius in the exact color and option package I had wanted sitting there on the lot. So I haggled for a little bit on price and bought it on the spot without ever reaching the Honda dealer up the block.

To me, the big advantages for the Fit over the Prius were (1) size -- only 158 inches long back then (I think the current model grew an inch or two), but with a very flexible and useful interior configuration, and (2) handling -- it's known to outhandle almost every compact or smaller car out there other than the Mini; it beat out many sports cars and sport sedans in slalom tests.

5. aquarians2

aquarians2 New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius

I just traded in a 2000 Odyssey for a 2009 Prius Pkg. 5. I currently own a 2002 Honda CR-V. Although our Hondas have served us well, my perception is that Honda quality and reliability is slipping a bit. My CR-V is nice but has had some disappointing reliability problems and our Odyssey had a failing transmission which hastened our search for a new car.

I test drove a 2009 Honda Fit before deciding on a Prius. Here are some comments and observations:

- It handled crisply with excellent steering feel.
    - A little slow off the line with the auto tranny but feels adequately powered on the highway.
    - Honda has done a good job of maximizing roominess but it is still quite small. My plump family of four was crammed inside and there was very little trunk space.
    - Front seats are narrow but supportive.
    - Good front legroom.
    - Nice gauge cluster looked pretty at night.
    - Back seats are small and uncomfortable and not too much legroom.
    - Switchgear feels cheap compared to my Odyssey and CR-V.
    - No electronic lock switch on the front passenger door. My CR-V also has this irritating omission.
    - The trunk floor feels like it is made out of cardboard and is very flimsy.
    - The interior plastic walls in the trunk are also very flimsy.
    - Noisy -- venture to guess not much sound deadening material.
    - Nice navigation system.
    - Even the top-of-the-line Fit Sport was not all that luxurious.

I could not imagine a long family road trip in the Fit whereas the Prius seems much more accommodating. The Prius won us over with its better feature content, better quality materials, attention to details, nicer switchgear, more comfortable seats, quieter and more comfortable ride, and according to our research excellent reliability. After struggling through the last gas crunch we were determined to get a hybrid. Ultimately we decided the Prius was worth the extra money. Was it worth it? On hybrid performance alone the jury is out since we are only averaging in the upper 30s MPG. Overall we love our Prius and are happy with it.

We might have bought the Fit if it was just serving as a commuter car and/or my family was smaller. I would recommend giving it a spin before shelling out thousands extra for the Prius.

6. ksstathead

ksstathead Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I got very close to a deal on a Prius last spring when gas price spike drove up Prius demand. When that failed, we bought the Fit. It is a cheaper vehicle to buy, so comparison to Prius features and quality favors the Prius. But we have been very pleased with the car. When not hauling 4+ people, the cargo flexibility is awesome.

Three or less adults can travel long distance in comfort. Four adults fit fine, depending on cargo. We've carried 5 adults just to say we could, but only for a few miles.

I've hit 42 mpg for a tank using some hypermiling techniques. Short trips in town = upper 20's mpg. Some folks with manual tranny's get around 60 mpg with them, but that is really working it. Fit Sport with automatic has paddle shifters that are nice, but not a substitute for a stick.

7. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I've only driven the 2007 Fit. Have yet to try the new 2009 one, I've only sat in it in the showroom. Here are my impressions of the old one.

Pros:

• spacious, very spacious
    • large boot
    • clever folding rear seats (esp. the Tall Mode)
    • can recline the front seats like the Prius for "Lounge Mode"
    • quite fuel efficient
    • decent plastics (ditto on the new one)
    • good list of standard safety features
    Cons:

• engine's a little buzzy
    • seems it has the need to rev just to get the power out (I was driving an automatic)
    • no driver's footrest (fixed on that on the new model)
    • not cheap (in Canada)
    • dealers won't haggle cause they're in high demand
    • no underbody chip protection (the black coarse stuff that's in the wheel well is missing)

First Impressions of the new model

• nicer dashboard but it's rather large...almost like the Beetle
    • nicer steering wheel (taken from the Civic)
    • Odd tyre combination on the Sport model
    • just as spacious and clever as the old one
    • still pricey (You can get a Civic for similar money with nearly similar equipment)
    • exterior design is a lot better imo
    • fabric seems improved
    • good list of standard safety features

8. B&G Suspension

B&G Suspension New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    the fit is a great car for the money and like very Honda can last forever...:)

9. thedutchtouch

thedutchtouch prius is my SUV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    i'm not a fan of the fit. i have a friend that has one, and it doesn't have much interior space- back seat or cargo. don't be mislead by the interior cu. ft. ratings, i think its just because there's a lot of headroom, but seats and cargo area are squashed.. it does handle better than a prius (but a lot of cars do)

10. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I don't own a Fit but several of my friend do / did. It is an absolutely fantastic car. It has small external dimensions but is amazingly large inside. The option to flip the seat up or fold the seats down is great for carrying large and bulky items. Gets 30 to 35 mpg in mixed driving.

A good friend of mine recently totaled his Fit at highway speeds. He was traveling @ 70 mph on a 3 lane interstate in the rain when he hit a patch of standing water and hydroplaned. The car spun, when across all 3 lanes and hit the concrete center divider in excess of 50 mph. Front, side and curtain airbags fired, and he walked away without any injuries besides some bruising from the seat belts.

So great car to drive, and a safe car too.

11. SageBrush

SageBrush Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Two
    If a Honda Fit hybrid with Insight II mpg existed 4 years ago, I would not own a Prius today. Mind, I think the Prius is brilliant, and I don't have a single regret that I bought it. The Prius has also encouraged me to learn a fair bit about cars and engineering that I am thankful for. But the Fit made an immediate emotional bond.

Weird, but true.