1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone put 17" rims on their Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Accessories & Modifications' started by goldenhill, Jun 16, 2007.

1. goldenhill

goldenhill New Member

I was wondering if they fit and if anyone knows the MPG implications from putting 17s on a Prius. Please just give facts, I am not up for a whole bunch of nonsense and smuggery :D

Thanks

2. NoMoShocks

NoMoShocks Electrical Engineer

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(goldenhill @ Jun 15 2007, 09:24 PM) [snapback]462844[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, a lot of people have, and if you search for 17 and rims or wheels, you will see photos. One concern would be reduction of MPG because many wheels and tires are much heavier than the OEM ones, but there are some light weight ones that might not make a huge difference. I was interested in some barely used 17 inch Scion TC rims with new tires on e-bay for $700, but then I searched for Scion TC and others have said they took a big MPG hit. I don't really hate the factory rims, but I think they could look better.

3. cairo94507

cairo94507 Active Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh man, tons of people have done the 17's including me. I originally did the Scion wheels, looked great but they weighed about 44 pounds each. Took a pretty good MPG hit, about 4 MPG. I then bought some Ray's Gram Lites and they actually weigh about 1.5 pounds less mounted than the stock wheel and my MPG returned to stock. The car rides better too. The weight of the wheel makes a pretty big difference on the Prius, choose wisely.

4. bobdavisnpf

bobdavisnpf Member

'05 with 16's, comparing side-by-side to new-ish stock on the '06 while its 17's are on the way. :unsure: Lots of facts available, not sure I can separate the nonsense and smuggery. <_<

5. goldenhill

goldenhill New Member

Thanks for the input!

I just wanted to be sure that 17s were an option and it sounds like they are as long as they are not really heavy.

Thanks fo rthe lack of smuggery and abundance of truthiness :blink:

6. LKJR

LKJR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
  7. vinnysca

vinnysca New Member

Here's my 17 inchers... :D

Each weigh 47 pounds. But, I still average about 45 mpg. Good enough for me!

Vince.

They are made by LIMITED wheels with 45mm offset.

Attached Files: