1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone replaced the door speakers of their JBL system?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by BethlehemPrius, Jan 24, 2007.

1. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Purchased a Prius with the JBL system, and while it sounds ok, I think the base is really lacking, the system sounds great for mids to highs, but otherwise I think they could have done a better job for the cost of the package.

What I was wondering is if anyone changed the speakers(only the woofers) in the doors for an aftermarket set? I was wondering how it would sound without doing anything else since the system already has the Amp under the passenger seat or if it would still be under powered.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

2. Presto

Presto Has his homepage set to PC

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    There are quite a few threads on this. You should be able to get a quick answer if you search for Infinity in this forum.

3. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

Check the links in my signature.

4. prius62

prius62 Junior Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(DocVijay @ Jan 25 2007, 03:31 PM) [snapback]380860[/snapback]</div>

Everyone here is so helpful I've read all the related threads. I'm looking to just replace the speakers in my JBL system ('05). I plan to change the speakers and then see if I need an amp. So there is a chance I may just live with the speaker upgrade.

My question is if I should go with the infinity or the JL Audio ZR650-CSI. I don't mind spending a more for the jl audio if it will make a noticeable difference even without an amp.
    Thanks

5. BethlehemPrius

BethlehemPrius New Member

Excellent question, you beat me to the punch, as I don't want to totally rip the whole thing apart also. I guess time will tell if anyone has tried this approach yet.

6. GeoGeek

GeoGeek Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(prius62 @ Jan 27 2007, 05:35 PM) [snapback]381755[/snapback]</div>
    The JL ZR are their top end component set....not really worth it (IMHO) if you're not going to amplify them.
    You could do the first or second tier JL components or consider other components....lots of really nice ones out there. Diamond Audio, Image Dynamics, MB Quart, Boston Accoustics, just to name a few (notice I didn't mention Infinity....just a personal bias)
    If you're not going to do an amp, or if you want to do it incrementally, higher efficiency speakers will work better off the factory power. Good luck....and BTW, just speakers will make a huge difference.....amp & sub will be the next quantum leap.
    Enjoy....

7. DocVijay

DocVijay Active Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(GeoGeek @ Jan 28 2007, 07:10 PM) [snapback]382074[/snapback]</div>
    I agree. THe ZR's are not worth the price if you don't add a quality amplifier as well. If you only want to repalce the speakers without doing anything else, then you should be able to find a great set at a much lower cost.