1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone sold a Prius?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by prius04, Nov 15, 2004.

1. prius04

prius04 New Member

Today at a gas station a guy in an SUV next to me came and asked me questions about my car. His first one was what was my MPG.

I told him with the cold weather I'm down to 49, but I had a couple of 55s. He was blown away. His SUV got 13.

He asked many more questions and then went in and paid for his gas. When he came out he had a few more questions. Then he got in his hog and started to pull away. He stopped and rolled down his window with another question. His final question was how far it went on a tank. I said my first tank went 550 miles, but usually a little less than 500, and never more than 10 gallons.

During our conversation, I gave him a flyer that I got from John 1701a. And he said he was going to aim for his own new Prius sometime next February.

This was the 5th or 6th such on the street conversation that I've had, and the 3rd that said he was going to go buy one.

So I'd like to claim I've sold 3.

2. jfschultz

jfschultz Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    My brother lost the engine in his RX-7 after the hurricanes. He was without power and going to a friend's for a shower. The road had been blocked on previous trips but not this time but it was still flooded and water got pulled into the engine.

Knowing I have a Prius, he started looking and bought an off rental used Prius.

Around here a Prius doesn't generate much interest, but this last weekend 3 people wanted to learn more about it. One had bought a HCH because the Toyota dealer he went to blew him away because they didn't have a demo.

3. NiMHpwr

NiMHpwr New Member

I have sold one.

When I first got my Prius a month and a half ago I took it on a business trip with some of my co-workers along for the ride. After I explained all the different features it has and the MPG along with a some other incentives like tax deduction and probable solo car pool, he was pretty much hooked. He even liked the color so much he said he was going to get one exactly like it. Today he gave me a call and said he got one which kinda surprised me because I had to wait 5 months and 1 day to get mine when it only took him about 1 month. I guess production is picking up. At least here in the SF Bay. I see so many Priuses out there that there is one almost every time I turn a corner. In fact a week ago I was getting on 880 and I saw a black 04/05 behind me and another in front of me so there were 3 black ones in a row.

Justin

4. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I haven't sold one that I know of...but I was sold on mine by my barber.. he had a Classic (first one in Denver) every time I was in the shop he was talking the Prius... one day I went in the Classic was not parked where he usually parked... I really didn't pay attention to what was parked in the spot... when I got in the chair I made a crack about where his Prius was.. was the ashtray full.. did it finally run out of gas... what was he driving... he pointed out the window said it's my NEW '04 TideWater... I WAS HOOKED... talked to my bride about the need for a state of the art car.. we went parking lot shopping, where ever we could find one.. then to the dealer, by way of a Honda dealer.. just to be sure that their cars were not the hybrids we wanted... a test drive and we were close.. I had seen a used '04 on cars.com at a VW lot.. we made a stop took another ride... they sales guys played the "we have a customer, who is ready to buy" game... we had cash..but they thought their buyer or any buyer would pay $28,000... it wasn't us... we came home, I contacted the internet salesman and 57 days later I was a proud owner.. I carry my priuschat cards and pass them out every chance I get..

5. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like to think i've sold at least a half a dozen. I've chatted with a few people who's cars were near the end of the road. I've even chatted to people with new cars that are gas guzzlers. I know so much info about the car that usualy people are blown away. I let them know all the goods about it and toss in a few green aspects. Usualy i have people tell me " i think i'll get one of those for my next car". On person who i talk to a lot is pretty hooked. Every time i see him he asks something about it. He even told me about his friends driving gas guzzlers and he told them about the prius. Even held a conversation with a buddy of his about hybrids in general. I like to think i prepared him for the battle in the hybrid conversation. lol. I personaly may sale my car if i can't find a good steady job. I'm falling behind in payments. So that will be one more if all doesn't go well. Otherwise i meet people all the time who ask about it. I only knew of two people who i've completely sold to hybrids. My brother and my mother. They both are going to purchase the 400h in april of 2005.. or whenever available. So that's 2 for sure and another.. at least 6 that i possibly sold a hyrid or prius to.

6. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    im pretty sure ive sold a few. but i KNOW that i have made more than a few people regret their decision to buy the car they ended up with.

7. V8Cobrakid

V8Cobrakid Green Handyman

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    lol.. i've done that too.. a bunch of "damn, i just baught this car too!" lol

8. amped

amped Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, besides my two '04's that went through newspaper ads in an hour, only one that I know of for sure. It was my plumber. He came to fix a burst pipe last Winter in his new Ford F-150 pickup. We were both interested in each others rigs, and he'd already done quite a bit of Internet research on Prius. Of course I told him about PriusChat. When he fixed the pipe in record time, he asked if we could take each other out on demo drives. He was amazed with Prius and left to go directly to my dealer to place an order for his wife's new DD. I liked his truck, too, but not that much. Hey John, if you're here, did you get it yet?

Prius gets lots of looks, but Portlanders are generally a reserved, polite lot and usually just look approvingly. OTOH, if someone asks one question, THEY'RE MINE! I've tried to moderate my enthusiasm, but it's so hard to come up with enough words in English to describe automotive nirvana. Maybe in French.

9. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I sold one to my Postmaster. he saw me pull up to the post office the other day and wanted to know all about the car. I eventually gave him a test drive and after that he was sold LOL. I'm still waiting for my commission from Toyota LOL. He expects to get his in Feb.

10. islanderfan

islanderfan Junior Member

I sold one. One of the Asst. Deans mentioned his wife was interested in a hybrid. Had driven the Civic, but not the Prius. I offered them a test drive. Two hours later they were on the waiting list. They should have it in Feb.

KSU Roller Hockey Club - Faculty Adviser & Coach

11. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    During one of our Hybrid Car Club gatherings, there are a lot of onlookers. I gave one family a 20 minute ride up a big highway hill (climbs 1000 feet or so), then some around town 'stealth' driving. He was in the front, she and the 2 kids were in the back, fully loaded car. They were mightily impress with room and zoom. Got an e-mail a week later, said they ordered one, should be in before Christmas. And they were not even looking for a car! Another friend of a friend who spends 20,000 miles on the road as a sales person (in a Camry), drove mine, ordered one a month later, should be here in 2 weeks. It just seems unfair how easy it is to sell theses things. LOL!

12. prius04

prius04 New Member

Although I'm pretty sure I sold 3 (they were strangers so I have no way of really knowing.)

I'm very sure my daughter sold at least one.

She sold me on my Prius. Thanks starla30!

She also sold me on priuschat.

13. Danny

Danny Admin/Founder
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I like to think that I've sold a few by providing PriusChat :)

If only there was a way to become my own Internet Dealership so I could get commission off of the sales... hmmm...

:)

14. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    prius04. you are starlas dad??

ahhhh right!! a family affair!!~!

15. prius04

prius04 New Member

16. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    that is so cool. i have almost talked my dad into a Prius, but there is one stumbling block and that is his vision is giving him trouble and it looks like he might not be able to drive much longer. he also has diabetes, but is active , plays golf regularly, although now he uses a cart (he is 75 and in otherwise great health)

he has said many times that he will not continue to drive if he feels that he would be a danger to someone else. after that guy who ran down a couple dozen people in CA a few years ago, i guess that weighs on his mind a bit.

17. hdrygas

hdrygas New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I have sold one, but I have several hanging fire at this point. I only count them when they are down and dead. I think I have one other order. As soon as they are in the lot I will sell them like hot cakes. I am amazed at the number in the parking lot where I park in the morning we are up to 8 and 9 will be here before the end of the year. SUV's are being replaced by Prii! One of the Nurses I work with has a Insite and there is a occasional HCH. I hate to say this but when the Lexus 300 is available I expect a lot more. I would rather smaller cars but some of these folks have families and need a bit of room. I applaud more and more true hybrids and just today set some one straight about the GM "hybrid".

18. prius04

prius04 New Member

Dave,

You could always remind your dad that the resale value for the Prius will always be quite good. So any money spent now won't really get lost.

And in this day and age, 75 can be quite young.

19. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    i think he may have already ordered one. he was considering either a Lexus or a Camry... no matter what, it would have been a Toyota. he has driven nearly nothing but for years. he did get a full size ford pickup a few years ago to haul his golf cart around. traded in his Toyota pickup for it (this was before Toyota had a full size pickup)

this is a major change for him. he was born and raised in and around Detroit. all his relatives have worked in the auto industry except him (he was an engineer in the Army) he swore american for years. but he is also very very careful with his money and each decision he makes is after a through analysis of the cost, reliability, longevity, etc... of any purchase. he simply decided that american cars were no longer worth it at any price.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    gee... i wonder how many of those sales you got because of us...