Has anyone switched to a lithium 12V battery?

Discussion in 'Prime Technical Discussion' started by Robyn Jackey, Jan 14, 2022.

1. Robyn Jackey

Robyn Jackey Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Wondering if anyone has tried switching to a 12V lithium aftermarket battery? I'm currently looking at this one:
    12V Lithium Battery for Toyota Prius | ohmmu.com

I'm needing to replace the 12V battery on my 2017 Prius Prime Advanced, after having to jump start it about a dozen times. The NOCO - 1000A Lithium Jump Starter - GB40 has been very useful! Interested in switching to lithium as I use a dash cam with parking mode. I've also noticed recently that if you turn the car off but don't open the driver door, the headlights don't turn off!?

2. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    True. I just quickly turn the stalk from Auto to Off and back to Auto. Done

3. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    No experience with a 12V lithium aftermarket battery... But for more than 2x of the price of a regular lead-acid battery, do you really get twice the service time? If your OEM lasted ~5 years, that means it has to last more than 10 years to make it worth the cost. Let us know how it works if you buy one. Good luck.

4. Gokhan

Gokhan Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Limited
    Don't do it. It is probably very dangerous. Rechargeable lithium batteries use special charging circuits, and they are typically not interchangeable with other types of rechargeable batteries. They are also a fire hazard even if they are compatible. You don't want a bomb under your hood that could go off in a minor collision.

5. MikeDee

MikeDee Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The capacity of this battery is 40 AH, the lead acid one I bought recently is 50 AH.

6. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    LiFe batteries are not a fire hazard and several available models have built-in BMS to protect the battery during charging. They are, as noted, expensive, so the economics probably don't justify their use as a 12v replacement.

JeffD

Ovation likes this.
  7. eow

eow Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2022 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Base
    Keep in mind that lithium batteries protect themselves by not allowing themselves to be charged at temperatures below freezing. So not a good choice as a auxiliary battery in colder climates.

iPhone ?