1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tried "greenmeter" for the iPhone

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Fuel Economy' started by aolm, Mar 8, 2009.

1. aolm

aolm Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    I wonder if it can trim mpgs off my Prius. I feel I already drive very carefully with minimal acceleration.
    http://hunter.pairsite.com/greenmeter/

2. a priori

a priori Canonus Curiosus

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Nice looking app. $6.

I haven't looked to see whether it can take into account the SOC of the HV battery and the battery's contribution. It could be that this app may not do very much for someone driving a Prius.

Slow acceleration is not the key to high MPGs in the Prius. The key to high MPGs is to minimize use of gasoline. This doesn't mean to minimize use of the ICE -- it just means we should use the ICE when necessary and when it is at its highest efficiency (acceleration is the former, not the latter). You should be aiming (for high-MPG purposes, that is) to coast without using the ICE or the battery. This is the "glide" in pulse and glide (or P&G, PnG, PNG). You also benefit by having the ICE running regularly at the right RPMs. For many folks, they've found a high MPG place of around 53 mph on relatively flat land. By keeping the ICE engaged at this speed, you do not deplete the battery. Having a high state of charge (SOC) on the battery gives you more opportunity to keep the ICE in a more efficient operating range.

I don't know how the program interprets coasting or whether it knows when and how the Prius gets to a state of Stage 4 when the ICE actually turns off during glide.

I would be interested to hear about this app and its use in a Prius.

3. Rybold

Rybold globally warmed member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    I just saw this after Apple added the new "App Store Essentials - Go Green" section.
    It looks like an excellent App ... if it works. Have any of you tried it?