1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has anyone tried to carry lumber on roof racks?

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Main Forum' started by MichelleStone, Jul 24, 2017.

1. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I know they have a 100 pound weight limit but I can't imagine putting 100 pounds of 8 or 10 ft lumber up there. Before I buy roof racks, I'd like to make sure I can carry a few sticks of 2x4's 12 miles.

'LectroFuel likes this.
  2. fotomoto

fotomoto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Why buy roof racks for one 12 mile trip? You can have them delivered for less money and hassle.

Me? I put them in the back for my 6 mile trip home. Love the utility of hatches.

IMG_2505.JPG.jpeg IMG_0046.JPG

Aaron Vitolins and 'LectroFuel like this.
  3. MichelleStone

MichelleStone Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I wish the Prius could be loaded up like that. If the seats would lay flat, it would be a little easier.

4. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I fit a 10 foot window shade diagonally with hatch closed. Recline the passenger seat all the way. Position the sticks diagonally from the passenger seat to the trunk on the driver side. And don't forget about the third dimension. Position the sticks down on end of the car and up on the other end. I had room to spare for my window shade. You should be able to fit a few 10 foot and Maybe even longer sticks.

MichelleStone and RCO like this.
  5. goldfinger

goldfinger Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I used to carry dimensional lumber all the time in my gen 2. Haven't tried it yet in the gen 4. The trick was you had to pull the passenger side headrest off, slide the seat forward, and then you could fold the seat down flat.
    IMG_20150828_141356.jpg

6. Gen 2 Tom

Gen 2 Tom Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Yes what you see in those pictures is easy in a hatch back. Level out the floor after folding down seats with padding or foam insulation boards.

I once built a platform on the rear door spare tire of my CRV. I would go to the mill and haul 20, 16', 1 X 4. I think I had 10' copper tubing, inside the Prius, from the dash to the rear.

7. CoastRider

CoastRider Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    image.jpg

That's a great picture, Oddjob. I can't even seem to fit a large ice chest in the back of my Prius!

goldfinger likes this.