1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

has anyone tried to do many/most/ALL!? of these audio upgrades?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by dishpan, Apr 28, 2007.

1. dishpan

dishpan New Member

i need some help. i will spare no expense!

i have a 2005 prius. the 2006, 2007, and 2008 prius has a much better stereo system in the dash, with more features available too. what do i have to do to get my stereo replaced with one of those? you can find more details below. please advise, thanks in advance. dan

this i what i have:
    2005 Toyota Prius Sedan
    with Navigation system
    Factory Stereo Installed
    plus Bazooka subwoofer (circuit city installed)

the factory installed stereo is a JBL 6 disc in-dash cd player with cassette and large touch screen gps.
    it has steering wheel and voice controls of the volume, tracks, etc that i would like to keep using.
    it also has cd-text display, which i love.

this is the problem:
    sound quality is important to me.
    there is no mp3 or wma playback.
    there is no dvda or sacd playback.
    there is no aux, ipod, hd or satelite radio direct input.
    i have to fm transmit everything, which sucks.
    crappy internal satelite radio antenna (loses signal under bridges, etc).
    when i want to update my gps maps each year, the new disc costs $250 (like the price of an entire gps receiver!)

this is what i would love to have:
    cd playback
    sacd playback
    dvda playback
    mp3 playback
    wma playback
    hd radio playback
    built-in sirius satelite radio
    direct ipod input
    everything above displaying info on the screen
    cd-text reading
    sirius/xm/hd antenna professionally roof mounted
    good gps system with regular inexpensive map updates
    back-up camera
    touch screen, steering wheel, and voice controls over most of everything.

this is what i dont care if i have or not:
    i have no need for AM, FM, or cassette playback.
    i dont care if there is a remote control or anything.
    i subscribe to sirius radio, but could also use xm ready for when they merge.
    i dont plan on watching anything on the screen, so i dont really need dvd movie playback etc.
    BUT, if i could get a back-up camera and show it on the screen, i would definitely want that.
    it would be nice if there is an internal hard drive and or memory stick / card reader for stuff.
    i would love to have real time traffic, but the absence of this feature is not a deal killer for me.
    i really only need one disc in-dash at a time; more is nice, but not a make or break thing.
    i dont really want a multi cd jukebox in the trunk or anything, i prefer dash access.

however:
    ok so i seriously doubt there is a unit out there that can do all of the above. but i really hope you can figure out some options to help me accomplish as many of these requirements as possible. its ok with me if its one major unit with some add-ons if necessary. i know i have seen many different pieces of hardware out there that can do these things. if there really isnt one out or coming that can do everything, what can do the most and fits our priuses? also i have no ability to install any of this stuff myself, so i would be bringing my car to experts for professional setup and wiring etc.

thanks for reading. please take your time in researching and responding to this, i am deferring to your expert knowledge here. if there is nothing out right now that would be applicable, but you are aware of devices coming in the near future, thats ok too. just let me know the timeframes and pricing so we can make a determination together. if you have any questions or would like any clarification on what i have written here, please feel free to email me at [email protected] at anytime. thanks again
    dan

2. morpheusx

morpheusx Professor Chaos

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    To do most of what you are talking about you will have to go aftermarket for and pay a fortune. The best upgade and one of the cheapest things you could do is replace the door speakers, and you should dump the poor sounding bazooka. Buy some quality speakers and subs plus a decent amp to drive them. After you do this it wont matter what type of signal your feeding it and it should sound great.
    or you can trade in for an 07 with the satelite radio upgrade and with the line in for your mp3 player, then add some subs.

3. priusFTW

priusFTW Gen III JBL non Nav

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(morpheusx @ May 13 2007, 01:01 PM) [snapback]441100[/snapback]</div>

Well congrats on your purchase. To answer some of your questions, you could purchase a lockpic on coastal tech's site for video in. You could also purchase a Dice or Vais Tech unit. Both would give you iPod controls at the steering wheel and an aux in port for other devices such as sat receiver or mp3 player. Do a search here, there is plenty of info on that stuff. I swapped out all 4 of my speakers and installed dynamat too, it was very easy. I have recently purchased an amp and sub and will be adding those very soon.

Btw, check out my Inno install threads here, you might find that interesting.