1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

has anyone used the Sprint Razr w/Prius over Bluetooth?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Audio and Electronics' started by cwerdna, Nov 27, 2006.

1. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I've been on Sprint for ages and am still thinking of sticking w/them (their calling plans are the best deal for me) but I'm now coming to a point where I do need a new phone. Sprint finally has the Motorola Razr so I was wondering if anyone's tried it w/the Prius' Bluetooth integration and can report on their experiences?

I'm looking for comments like: good/bad, phantom calls (I hear that was a prob w/the Samsung A900), reliable/unreliable, poor sound quality, echoing, limitations, etc.

BTW, even though Verizon is CDMA like Sprint, just from a 1 minute look, I can tell that the UI and menus on the Sprint Razr are TOTALLY different than Verizon. Verizon seems to now have standard UI across all their non-PDA phones even amongst phones from different manufacturers. Also, no need to suggest T-Mobile, since they are total crap in my area.

2. IsrAmeriPrius

IsrAmeriPrius Progressive Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 27 2006, 02:25 AM) [snapback]354387[/snapback]</div>
    According to Vagabond, our resident Sprint guru, the Sanyo Katana is the only fully functional Bluetooth phone offered by Sprint.

[​IMG]

Take a look at these posts.

3. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Unfortunately, the Katana was an underwhelming phone spec-wise for the price when it came out. Although I don't care much about the camera, to only be equipped w/a VGA-res camera even when it came out is pretty lame.

Also, all those posts pre-date when the Razr became available thru Sprint. They just announced this on 10/3/06 (http://www2.sprint.com/mr/news_dtl.do?id=13640) and it says "Sprint's MOTOKRZR, MOTORAZR and MOTOSLVR are expected to be available by early November."

4. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 27 2006, 11:33 PM) [snapback]354728[/snapback]</div>
    Vagabond is a Sprint employee in their training department. He is familiar with the specification and features of Sprint phones months before they are announced or released for sale. He seems to be pretty unimpressed by any of the RAZR CDMA models.

I, for one, do not chose a cell phone based upon its camera. By the way, in the specs department, the Katana's screen pixel count of 240x320 beats the RAZR's 176x220 resolution by a mile.

5. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 28 2006, 11:16 AM) [snapback]354880[/snapback]</div>
    I'm not sure if he was allowed to leak news about the RAZR before they announced it. If the phone really shipped in November, he hasn't posted since it started shipping. I did however find his post saying the RAZR (before Sprint ever announced they were going to have it) as junk.

I don't choose phones (or digital cameras) just by pixel count. However, it seems the Katana is just a low end phone: cheapy plastic, VGA camera [when not very expensive phones have been shipping for ages w/higher pixel counts], no video capability [not that I care THAT much about video] and no memory slot. I have a Sanyo Sprint phone now and had a different one in the past and they were fine... but still.

6. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    To each his own.

My criteria has to do with Bluetooth functionality. The Katana can upload the entire contents of its phone book to the Prius all at once. With the RAZR you can only transfer one contact at a time. I find that unacceptable.

7. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 29 2006, 02:00 PM) [snapback]355384[/snapback]</div>
    The Bluetooth functionality is important to me too. Are you concluding the above from Verizon's RAZR (since their phones seem to have that limitation)? The UI on the Verizon version looks NOTHING like the Sprint version. Verizon has standardized UI across all their non-PDA phones which is totally different than what Sprint has put on their RAZR. I've tried out both.

Can you find me a post (or a snippet from a manual) that says whether you can/can't upload the entire phonebook from the Sprint RAZR to another device like a Prius? I looked thru the manual (227 pages) for Sprint version at http://www.motorola.com/mdirect/manuals/V3m-SPRT.pdf and couldn't tell either way.

BTW, since I've never seen Bluetooth integration in action on any Toyota/Lexus, how important is being able to upload ANY phonebook entries?

8. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The Katana and The Sanyo 8400 are simply the best 2 phones for Sprint and the Prius right now, hands down. They function wonderfully. I expect the Sanyo M1 (which will become Sprint's flag-ship phone) will work just as easily.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 29 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]355601[/snapback]</div>

Sprint's RAZR does one at a time. I really hate that phone, it's soooooo old. It was ok when it came out, but it really shows it's age. AND, Sprint's version has got ALOT of bugs/quirks. I can't suggest it. I haven't tried a KRZR yet. But it does not have all the bugs and it feels really solid. Too bad it's so expensive.

As for smartphones, the Treo 700wx is said to be stable and work well, but it doesn't really want to work for me at all. I bought bluetooth in my car and I never use it. Sigh.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 29 2006, 12:31 AM) [snapback]355152[/snapback]</div>

Yea, my bad. I bought a motorcycle and it's become my life. That and I'm spending far too much time getting ready for nursing/physicians assistant school. I wanted a change and a little more knowledge. And since the DICE iPod kit is all good I'm all done with that too.

The Katana is low end - but works really well. Very few complaints and the case isn't as bad as you may think. I have heard no complaints on the case quality. The only complaint is out loud the ringer is when it's laid down since the speaker in on the bottom.
    If you want all that stuff, get the 8400. If you want all that stuff and even more keen bells and whistles, wait for the Sanyo M1. Most reports say that it ships in a week or so, but I've seen one or two say that it's January. Sprint has done a good job keeping it quiet.

9. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Thanks for all the info Vagabond!

Hmm, to me, the Katana looks old and cheap. The RAZR feels like a much higher quality phone despite it being out for so long. As for the 8400 (I big step backwards from my Sanyo SCP-8100), eek, it looks awful from the pictures and the blue color is awful too (that's the only color I see listed at sprint.com). I'll have to check it out in person. I loathe paying more for a phone that looks like nice person (IMHO), the 8400... :(

Besides the one at a time issue w/the Sprint RAZR and it being old and somewhat slow (played with it today, I see what folks elsewhere are talking about), are there any other major cons?

I actually don't care that much about bells and whistles on the phone. I couldn't care less about MP3 playback (have an iPod already), don't care about browsing on the phone, don't care about any Vision/Power Vision features (totally not worth the extra monthly fees) nor do I care much about SMS. I care more about decent battery life, decent camera (VGA camera when the Katana came out seemed silly to me), good reception/sensitivity and Bluetooth functionality and stability with the Prius.

10. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 30 2006, 12:48 AM) [snapback]355607[/snapback]</div>

The Razr does certainly feel better in the hand thanks to it's metal case. The battery life is about the same, no one really has complaints more than one or the other on that, but there's so many glaring bugs on the Razr. Let's post the ones Sprint is aware of so far: (This one will matter to you) Pictures you have taken not being displayed at a later time.
    It has a habit of powering itself down while not actually powering down. Hard to explain.
    (also matter) Bluetooth issues!
    Not getting message alerts OR not being able to get rid of the message alert after you get the message.
    Lots of complaints on downloaded stuff not working.

And again, if you want it to work well in your car you have to get the Sanyo. Not saying the Razr won't work at all, just not nearly as well.

PS: The 8400 comes in Blue, Black and White. It looks better once you take off the funky removable cover. Sanyo can't make a pretty phone, but they make the best phones.

11. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Nov 29 2006, 11:07 PM) [snapback]355601[/snapback]</div>
    In the 04 and 05 models it is critical, since there is no way to manually populate the car's phone book or add names to numbers that are saved from the incoming (edit) and outgoing call logs into the one touch dial positions. The lack of the ability to add names to the saved contacts makes it impossible to see whom you are calling when the car is in motion, since unlike the names which always display the phone numbers in the one touch screen are not visible when the car is in motion.

Beginning with the 06 model, Toyota added the ability to manually populate the phone books. That can be a tedious task, though, if you have more than a handful of contacts that you want to program in the car's hands free system.

For whatever it is worth, my fourteen years old daughter, for whom bluetooth functionality is not a factor, chose the Katana over the RAZR when I recently upgraded her old phone. She compared them side by side at the Sprint store and liked the Katana’s screen and games better.

12. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(IsrAmeriPrius @ Nov 30 2006, 01:52 PM) [snapback]355935[/snapback]</div>
    Hmm, for all these model years, can you just dial from the phone directly and just use the mic and speakers in the car?

13. IsrAmeriPrius

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 2 2006, 01:57 PM) [snapback]356757[/snapback]</div>
    Yes, but doesn't that defeat the purpose of the Bluetooth system to some degree? I would have to take the phone out of my pocket to dial the call. With some phones it is difficult or impossible to transfer the call from the phone to the car's hands free system once the call has been initiated.

14. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Ok, against Vagabond's advice, I got the Sprint Razr anyways. I don't have much to report yet other than the fact that you can select multiple contacts at a time to send to the Prius. Only prob is that's I couldn't find any select all feature. However, I didn't want them all over anyhow and just selected all the ones I wanted and sent them over in 1 fell swoop.

So, it's not quite as bad as I expected. If I really had to go one at a time w/o the select multiple feature, that WOULD suck.

15. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 9 2006, 08:33 PM) [snapback]359952[/snapback]</div>

Update the software - there's already been an update for it.

16. cwerdna

cwerdna Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Vagabond @ Dec 10 2006, 02:49 AM) [snapback]359985[/snapback]</div>
    I'm on 24.2_00.37.00R.

When I go to Settings > Phone Info >Update Phone SW, I receive Error No firmware update available.

17. Vagabond

Vagabond Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(cwerdna @ Dec 11 2006, 12:52 AM) [snapback]360287[/snapback]</div>

You're up to date. Do that every few months, there's gonna be more. Alot more. :lol: