1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has everyone paid full MSRP? - Seaside Pearl #6 May 2004

Discussion in 'Order Tracking' started by rwithop, Sep 17, 2004.

1. rwithop

rwithop New Member

I am curious as to whether everyone here has paid full MSRP for their Prius?

I am from the school that you never pay MSRP, and since I have a car on order at a second dealership, I thought I might have some leeway to negotiate the price. Thoughts?

Is is a given, that you the car absolutely goes for MSRP or goes to someone else?

Thanks,

Ryan

2. DanH

DanH New Member

With some dealers it is worse than that. It's 2k to 3k above MSRP or it goes to someone else.

I'm sure while the demand is high on this car relative to supply, MSRP will be the low price.

Dan

3. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I agree with Dan... I think the GOAL is to ONLY pay MSRP... I think for the mostpart dealers are charging that... that said I'm quite sure that those who have paid more will come forward... I paid MSRP plus $299 and tax..I think I got a great deal...and only waited 57 days....

Bob

4. Canuck

Canuck Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Our dealer here explained up front that the price which shows up on www.toyota.ca where you can "build" your vehicle is the firm price, no dickering.It appears that this applies across Canada but I could be wrong. We were told yesterday that "our" 2005 is scheduled to arrive first week in Oct (yes,this year). This would seem to be pretty swift since we ordered 10 July04. I'll believe it when I see it tho'. :roll:

5. bruceha_2000

bruceha_2000 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwithop\";p=\"40027)</div>
    You've got ZIP leeway my friend :) Maybe in a year or two but not while they can't make anywhere near enough to meet demand. My prior 3 new cars were purchased at less than MSRP, dicker between dealers and got the mats and flaps thrown in after the price was set. Not going to happen with my Prius. If you want to negotiate, talk to them about a Camry or Corolla, then you have some leverage.

6. onerpm

onerpm New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    My dealer (Walser, Bloomington, MN) charges $500 under MSRP for all Prii...I've been on waiting list since end of 1/04, and expect car in another 2-3 months. I'm told no tricks other than a $50 doc. fee.

I found an unsold Silver #9 on priusonline.com toward the end of August and bought it (actually my dad heisted it from me) as soon as it arrived at the dealer (a couple of weeks after the posting; dealership 1 hour drive from my home) at exactly MSRP. The only "extras" I was stuck with were floormats (at MSRP, $184 I think) and the seemingly now common "doc fee" of $49. (IMO, a doc. fee of any amount is a ripoff.)

rob

7. rwithop

rwithop New Member

Thanks

Thanks guys. Good to know, that negotiating will probably have me lose the car.

So those of you who bragged about getting the car in less than an eternity, how did you do it?

Ryan

8. paprius4030

paprius4030 My first Prius

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    WE paid over msrp, I JUST had to have it LOL, Totally against my character buying cars

9. jchu

jchu New Member

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rwithop\";p=\"40158)</div>
    Took delivery in just over 6 weeks. To do so, called around settled for a #3 with 3700 mi on it rather than a #7, and had to drive 1400 miles back from the dealership to get it home. (Did however manage to pay less than MSRP)

10. BobA

BobA New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(paprius4030\";p=\"40160)</div>
    I think it's called supply and demand... I think that the dealers who don't take advantage of a chance to gouge are really great... just look at the Prii for sale on eBay...

Bob