1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has it been a cool summer fo far for you?

Discussion in 'Environmental Discussion' started by burritos, Jul 9, 2009.

1. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    With the longest day of summer past us, the amount of sunshine per day will lessen every day till winter solstice. I've noticed that on the news, i haven't heard the "scorched america" national weather reports that I typically will hear by now. Locally, I have yet to use the aircon. My house has yet to break 76 degrees, outside, nothing greater than 82 degrees(according to the prius temp guage).

2. Bica2go

Bica2go New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Go ahead - make me more depressed with the reminder that the amount of sunshine will lessen every day. What sunshine?! Here in the Boston area, June had the 2nd lowest amount of sunshine (measured in hours of sun) since they've been keeping records. We had a mere 27% of available sunshine and temps averaged 7 degrees below normal. We had very few days in the 80s, none in the 90s. Some days were so chilly I wanted to put the heat on! AAAAAAH!

Yesterday, a town south of Boston had a nasty hail storm, complete with a microburst. Some kids piled the hail into a trail down a slope and brought out their snowboards! It was an amazing sight in July!

I'm still waiting for summer. sigh.

3. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It's been a cool summer for us in Northern Michigan. We had one week of hot weather, with high temperatures in the 80s, but the rest of the summer has been highs in the 60s and lows in the 40s. Today it is a mild but cool 63°F. Surface water temperature for Lake Michigan is now 57°F.

Tom

4. Jared

Jared Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm on Long Island. What summer? Still April weather here....

5. EZW1

EZW1 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Four Touring
    You guys are all deprived. Today in PHX it will hit 109, tomorrow 111, Saturday 113 (estimated down from 116).

The days may be getting shorter but the Desert Sun Gods haven't bought into that yet.

6. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    What's this I hear about global warming??

7. burritos

burritos Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    The new phrase is "Climate Change"

8. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    What temperature scale do you use. Certainly no normal person could live with temperatures like that on any standard scale. :p

Tom

9. DaveinOlyWA

DaveinOlyWA 3rd Time was Solariffic!!

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    we have been up and down. we had virtually no spring. had about 10 days of hot summer weather in MAY!! probably have hit our average for days in upper 80's and 90's already and all this before our traditional hot days which usually dont hit until mid July.

as far as sunshine, in nearly every part of the country, the daylight does not control temps. just as the coldest days of winter happen in Jan and Feb, during increasing daylight, the hottest days of Summer happen after the Solstice. average high temps for June here 77º, July 80º, August, 78º...

so after all that, i will say the high today will be around 65, the high yesterday after scattered rain (which was desperately needed since the rain we normally get in May did not happen) was about 67...

10. tripp

tripp Which it's a 'ybrid, ain't it?

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    overall it's been cool and wet. Lately however, it's been in the low 90's and dry. we're dipping back into the mid 80's for the rest of the week.

11. acdii

acdii Active Member

So far for the month of July we are -9 below average. I like this cool weather, but not too crazy about all the rain.

12. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Seattle area has been warmer and drier than normal. Outdoor fire bans are already in place because the fire season has all the signs of being a bad one.

This corner of the country usually has weather nearly the opposite of the eastern half of the country. Much of this weather is determined by what side of the jet stream one is sitting on at the moment. This jet stream has sinuous meanders similar to a flat land river, and the typical dimensions of the meanders are such that opposite sides of the country are usually on opposites sides of this flow. Areas on the north side of the flow usually have very different weather than areas on the south side of it.

13. JSH

JSH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Here in Birmingham, AL summer started early.

May temperatures were mostly in the high 80's low 90's compared to an average of 83 F. We also got above normal rainfall which was good since this area has been in a severe drought for several years.

June was about average with most days in the low 90's. (Daytime average is 91F) However the rain stopped and my house only saw rain 3 times in June.

14. djasonw

djasonw Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I like that better. Seems more appropriate!!

15. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well global warming was never really accurate anyway. the weather pattern changes would have caused a lot of areas to be drier and warmer, but other areas would have been colder due to changes in the oceans main currents that control coastal weather

16. sdtundra

sdtundra Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wouldn't mind being back in Queen Creek, AZ this weekend....in the 112 range apparently. Here in sunny San Diego it is currently 76 with 49% humidity at 11:15AM, today's high is 80 and sunset at 8PM.

Average lately has been low to mid 80's in the day, and low to mid 60s at night.

17. Celtic Blue

Celtic Blue New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    It was oddly bimodal in late Spring here as well. We had some pretty hot days in May and some very cool ones, very few days near seasonal averages (gap in the middle). June was more of the same with higher averages for the bimodal distribution. End result was that the monthly averages have been normal even though the feel of the month was abnormal.

July is still young and has run about 2-3 F low so far...but much warmer weather has returned (forecast for the next six days) so I expect the July average to be on par with recent years.

August is the one that decides the Summer here. We had a cool August last year, about 3F low, but the one before was a scorcher running about 3F on the high side.

18. Manolo1

Manolo1 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV

Hotter than average for the last 3 weeks down here...

19. galaxee

galaxee mostly benevolent

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    yesterday i thought it was such a relief that it was only 90F (~32C) outside.

20. DaveinOlyWA

Vehicle:
    2013 Nissan LEAF
    Model:
    Persona
    well, summer may be colder in some places, but already getting intial reports of el nino this winter which for us, means drier warmer winters... skiers hate it. i can live with it.

one winter, the average temps stayed in the mid to upper 50's nearly all the time...it was AWESOME