1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has this happened to you???

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Fuel Economy' started by alfon, Jun 26, 2011.

1. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    miles: 148.9

gal's used: 2.067

MPG Guage: 62.0

MPG Calculated: 72.036

Reg. Unleaded with 10 Ethanol

Hwy 90% 10% City

Note:

When I filled last time at slow speed when the pump stops thats it...

So after 148.9 miles the guage was still reading full. Normally it would drop down to 2 -3 pips from full.

So I went to the same gas station I had previously filled up, a different pump but the same type and filled at slow speed, first click that was it....

So I am baffled why. I could see if it took 2.5 gal's but a little over 2 gal's. I have never had this happened. Also the gas guage still read full.

alfon

2. sipnfuel

sipnfuel New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Your variance is amplified by the small amount you filled. It could also be perhaps that such a small fillup causes the pump to stop pumping earlier.

3. jhinsc

jhinsc Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The next time you see that kind of mileage early on a tank, continue until empty, then fill up and see what your mpg's is. At the low miles, just a few tenth's of a gallon can make a big difference.

4. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I will check the next time I fillup. What puzzles me
    is that the guage was still on full....

alfon

5. phoenixgreg

phoenixgreg Senior member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A pip is between one and two gallons usually. Add to that, in summer gas can expand a bit throwing off a normal readout. If the gauge shows full and you can put 3 to 4 gallons in, you could have a sticking float.

6. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Probably the automatic shut off was different. Even if you use the same pump it will be a little different from fillup to fillup. Best to check it over several hundred or even several thousand miles toping it up on the first and last tank. You will have to sneak across the border into WA to do that though. :D I know you aren't suppose to top off but a couple of times to check the Cons readout won't hurt anything.

I checked mine over 3500 miles when the car was new and computed the error of the Cons readout. Now I just use the readout and subtract the error.

7. alfon

alfon Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    That is one thing that bothers me about Oregon. You have all these freedoms, yet you can't pump your own gas in your own car...

Now, if you own a diesel car, and I do, you can pump diesel fuel in your car.

You can also pump gasoline in your motorcycle. Seems like there is an immediate danger there as any gas spilled will leak down into a hot engine. It would be a lot safer pumping gas in a car as the engine is several feet away from the fill pipe.

Some things don't make any sense. This is one of those
    things....

alfon

8. Dweezil

Dweezil Cat Juggler

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Really? You can't pump your own gas in Oregon? I've never heard of that. Learn something new every day...

9. Ghoti

Ghoti Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Mandating that all gas stations be full service adds several thousand jobs state-wide. In the current economy, that would actually be A Good Thing, in my opinion. When I lived in Vermont, I used full-service stations whenever I could simply to support their existence.

10. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    In our municipality, Coquitlam, self-serve is outlawed. It's the only community in greater Vancouver with such a policy. We've lived here over 20 years, and always drive to a neighbouring municipality (no big deal, on our way) to gas up. :rolleyes:

I recall once walking by one of our local full-serves: the attendant had left the pump on, unattended, and the auto shut off had failed. It was gushing gallons down the side of the car and down the street, great fun...

11. tumbleweed

tumbleweed Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Unfortunately it hasn't worked out that way for us. What usually happens is the clerk at the mini-mart is given the additional duty of pumping gas. The result is the customers get worse service both in the store and at the pumps. There are usually no additional jobs created.

But jobs is not the reason the law continues to exist. It is to keep card lock stations from selling gas to anyone except their commercial customers. The people who own mini-marts and gas stations don't want to compete with card locks. We had a ballot measure about 10 years ago to allow self service, unfortunately it was voted down, so the people got what they wanted.

12. ronhowell

ronhowell Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Yes, and I believe New Jersey is the other state that prohibits pumping you own gas.

Stupid restrictions IMHO, but I suppose they try to consider the lowest intelligence quotient. Like the warning on frozen entrees...."please cook before eating"!