1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Has this question been answered...

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by C56spd, Nov 21, 2011.

1. C56spd

C56spd New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Just wondered if having your Prius plugged in and charging (or charge complete) will disable you being able to start or move your car.

I would imagine this has been thought of as a safety feature. Still, I keep having this picture of my wife backing out of our garage with the charger still attached!:eek:

Tell me this can't happen!!!

2. Tideland Prius

Tideland Prius Moderator of the North
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I believe the car won't start until it's unplugged but it's a strong educated guess until Toyota says so. It's been six months.

3. minori

minori New Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Nissan Leaf won't start while it is charging. I guess Toyota will be the same.

4. Cutlass

Cutlass New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    As per the J1772 standard, the car is not allowed to go into drive if the charging connector is connected to the car. There's a "proximity detection" setup (hall effect, etc) that detects if the charger is connected to the vehicle. Note, it does not matter if the J1772 connector even has a wire going to it, the car is not allowed to go into drive.

There is also a "networking-like protocol" between the charger and the vehicle. If a proper connection isn't determined, then the charger will not energize the contacts and the vehicle will not allow any charging of the batteries.

Someone asked what happens if the car is in motion (slowly) and the connector is attached. From what I remember of the standard, there's no "requirement" for a specific action. It is very possible to have the car moving at 1 mph and have someone walking along and plug in the connector. It would not be a smart thing to try since it could easily damage the connector on the car - and that would be very expensive to fix! :)

1 person likes this.
  5. Paradox

Paradox Prius Enthusiast / Moderator
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    It will not allow it and a messasge comes across the MID display as well.

1 person likes this.