1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch back cargo capacity question

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by stansbury, Mar 6, 2010.

1. stansbury

stansbury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I'm trying to determine if my two dog crates can fit in a 2010 Prius (without having to go to a dealer).

Each dog crate is 19 inches wide, 26 inches long, and 17 inches high.

So overall width is 38 inches.

Can this fit into Prius cargo area with hatch closed?

- - -

Presently have a 1999 corolla and a 2001 outback wagon and we use the wagon to carry the dogs. At some point I'll have to replace the corolla and it would be great if the dog crates fit in the back.

Thanks
    Stan

2. spammerhamster

spammerhamster Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    I've asked the same question, and have since tested it on my Prius. I can fit 2 suitcases 26" suitcases in the cargo area. Since your cage's height is less than a suitcase, I'd think it'll fit. Even without putting down the backseats.

[​IMG]

As you see, I have a small handcarriage trolley in the hidden compartment, and 2 large 26" suitcases on top. I also tried to put the suitcases on their sides, closing the hatch is still possible then.

3. FireIsBorn

FireIsBorn Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you have the rear seats latched in the normal position - No - because of the 17 inch height the hatch could not close.
    If you have The rear seats unlatched and moved straight vertical, or folded flat, yes.

If they actucally measure 19.75 inches wide, they would be to wide to go lengthwise, but could go sideways with the rear seats folded down.

Best regards

4. stansbury

stansbury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I need to have the back seat in normal position - that's were our 7-year old daughter would be.

So if the height is a problem - I may be able to find crates that are slightly smaller (our dogs are Corgis and not very tall - but they are long).

5. Much More Better

Much More Better Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You can fold down the larger half of the rear seat. Your daughter can sit in the smaller side.

You can fit one crate in the back and close the hatch. The lowest point is under the rear spoiler and you can accommodate 19" under there. I measured it. You can always take both crates to a dealer and configure it to you heart's content.

EDIT: The 19" of clearance under the rear spoiler does not run the entire width. The clearance drops as you approach the sides (where the tonneau cover clips into). But you can fit one crate with both seats up.

6. stansbury

stansbury New Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks to all for the info. Looks like the Prius may be able to handle the two crates - in one configuration or another.

That is very encouraging. It wasn't a deal breaker one way or the other.

If the Prius could have handled both crates with seat in normal position, it would have absolutely made the Prius my #1 choice to replace our 1999 corolla (when the time comes).

But based on what's been posted, the Prius is still in the running.

We planned to have one smaller car (like the Prius) and one larger car (like the subaru wagon). But I would love to use a Prius for our longer trips with the dogs.

I may eventually still stop by a dealer with the crates to check it out. Because real-life-3D sometimes is different than the numbers.

Thanks again - and I'll check back when we replace the corolla.

Stan