1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch Garnish

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by jfdr, Oct 30, 2020.

1. jfdr

jfdr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    tl;dr is, are the electronics compatible between the smart-key garnish and the non-smart-key garnish?

I have an '07 Gen 2, non-smart-key model, so the one with the button underneath the garnish. My garnish itself, like the plastic stuff, is totally destroyed (my partner was having a bad day when it broke and vented their frustration upon the part). The electronics are dangling by their cable, and since I don't have a garage I'd like to get this fixed sooner rather than later to avoid water getting in them.
    The local dealership is quoting exorbitant prices and nearby scrapyards are devoid of comparable Prii, so I'm shopping online.

I can find a bunch of options from reliable sources online that look like the smart-key garnish, ie. they have the push button. I can find some ebay sellers with the non-smart-key garnish, but they're easily double the cost and are in colors that don't really match, to boot.

So, is it possible to use a smart-key enabled garnish on a non-smart-key enabled trunk? Like, will the connector just fit, or are the electronic systems totally different?

Thanks, all!

2. jfdr

jfdr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The oft-quoted Wong thread on this subject:
    How to Replace the Hatch Opening Switch | PriusChat

seems to suggest that the smart button can safely be ignored, and I can just try and shoehorn my old electronics and everything in to a new part.

Can anyone confirm?

3. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yes you can ignore the button for the SKS lock function. Since you have the base model, you can use any trim.

The ones with SKS function cannot use a base model trim (if they want to use the lock function)

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

What color are you looking for?

5. jfdr

jfdr New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    There was some question as to if my trunk latch electronics were still working; after taking the latch apart and lubricating everything I feel pretty confident that whatever issues there are arise from the gummy rubber sticking up the switch. A project for a later date, that.

Since the electronics all still work I'm likely just going to get a cheap carbon fiber part. Apparently I can't post links, to new to the forum, but there are options on amazon for $50.

Then I'll try and get some touch-up paint that matches my color. I have a _ton_ of dings and scratches, so the touch up paint will get plenty of use.