1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Hatch issues 2021 LE

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Pioneer8152, Feb 19, 2024.

1. Pioneer8152

Pioneer8152 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Been having some issues with the hatch on my LE. When I open the hatch, the cargo light won't turn on and the car will lock itself while the hatch is open. As far as I know, the car doesn't have the hatch smart key but this is bugging me as I used to have a 2016 3 ECO that did. Is there a fuse or plug that I need to check for this to work?

2. FuelMiser

FuelMiser Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It shouldn't matter which SKS your car has. Sounds like the car is not detecting the open hatch. There should be a pressure switch somewhere that opens up when the hatch is open, but in your case is staying closed. I have no idea where the switch for this is, maybe someone smarter can enlighten us all.

3. Pioneer8152

Pioneer8152 New Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    LE
    Quick update. I'm sitting in my car and the interior lights turned on and spooked me a bit. Confused me good but when I looked up, I saw the screen say the trunk was open, then just as randomly, saw the animation for it close. No idea if this also turned on the trunk light though as I'm in the drivers seat. Spooky but definitely points to a sensor issue.

4. AzWxGuy

AzWxGuy Weather Guy

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius
    Model:
    Limited
    Just guessing here, but they (Toyota) usually locate any electrical connections in the stationary portion of latch assemblies. Like interior lighting and "door open" sensors in door pillars. Earlier generations had this rear hatch switch/sensor in the lower stationary clasp portion, where it would get exposed to dirt and other junk that would eventually cause problems with the sensor or the solenoid release mechanism. There was also a manual release on the inside of the hatch to be used as a latch release when your 12V battery died, and the access panel to this area would expose all the other mechanicals for easy maintenance. I just looked at my rear hatch latch and the lower stationary clasp appears devoid of anything electrical. The upper latch assembly is contained within several plastic panels that can be popped off to inspect deeper. That might be a good place to have a look. Also, less of a concern, but there is a flexible portion of the wiring harness up at the top of the hatch near the hinges that is exposed to a twisting motion which could also affect sensor wiring continuity. Happy hunting.